Sign in to follow this  

Anyone mx on both YZ(CRF) and WR(CRFX)???

I'm looking for opinions from anyone that motocrossed both a WR and then a YZ (either 250 or 450).

I bought a Wr450 last July to go trail riding. However, over the Winter a buddy talked me into mxing the WR. I am now wondering if I'd be better off on a true motocrosser.

Some facts: I'm 39 years old, weigh 215 and I'm a rookie. I set all the clickers and removed throttle stop on the WR. I'm improving each week but I still won't attempt even moderate doubles so I lose a LOT of time by rolling over them. Part of my concern is the weight of the WR and what I suspect is a soft suspension despite playing with the settings. (Of course the estart is key when I stall it in the corners!)

Has anyone crossed from trail bike to mxer? Did you notice a big difference or am I kidding myself that switching bikes might help?

Tony

Been ther done that.

I use to have a wr 250 for trail riding.

I started going to the local SX track to gain confidence on jumps and overall handling. I said no jumping for me at that time.

Its a SX track so almost everyjump is a double and the few tables come out of corners so it wasnt easy... I rolled over most jumps and slowly started to jump tables and an ocassional double.

Then i bought a cr250 and i just have to say WOW!.

DId it make a diference? Sure it did.

It made a huge diference in jumps, because of its suspension i can case them and not die. Because of its light weight i can correct it while in the air. Because of it`s power if i dont carry enough speed off the corner to clear a double i am confident the bike has the power.

And it made a huge diference in corners... that`s what amazed me the most and why im :thumbsup: with my WR.

The WR is so top heavy that makes every corner a nightmare.

The question is versatility.

Now can you ride a WR in a MX SX track? Sure you can. Just make sure you dont miss any landing.

Can you ride a MX bike in the trail? Yes, and it`s sure way more fun than the blue fat cow. You are gonna loose some top speed but since you are a begginer that wouldn`t matter unless you ride above 70 MPH. Also it will make cornering and ugly terrain easier because of the top weight loss.

I would recomend a 4 stroke for you because 2stroke are dificult to handle in the track for a begginer.

I am a begginer also and I`m 28 so learn from my experience :ride:

If you are going to ride mostly track get a 250 mx; if you are going to ride mostly trails get yourself a 450 mx.

Maybe they will recomend a KTM XC because it`s like a half crosser half enduro machine. But for your experience you dont need to go that high $$.

I moto'd a WR for awhile. It was an older bike though, '98.

Mods for moto:

YZ Tank/Seat

YZ # plate/rear fender

removed kickstand

removed odemeter

YZ Timing

Grey Wire mod

Stiffer Springs front/rear

Pro Action suspension

13,49 Gearing

Air box un-corked

FMF Powercore

The bike was still underpowered and was heavy. The 5 speed was hard to use on tight tracks. However, I could hang that bike out pretty good, but it reved slower than the newer CRF. Overall, it did everything *GOOD*, as were the CRF does some things GREAT and somethings Fair. Woods and Moto are two completely different settings, it's hard with any bike to get the best of both worlds. I'd keep that in mind.

The main problem I see here is that the WR is a heavy assed trail bike, with a very soft suspension.

I bet that doing all the clicking on your suspension has messed up the overall handling and cornering stability on the bike.

Sure ypou can use it. Will you do better on a truly mx machine even if you are a rookie: YES! It will be more confident and have a better time.

If you had only one bike and you were dead broke then it would be dumb not using the bike on the track. Use what you have is the correct way to go.

But since you asked i believe you have the way on getting a new machine.

Anyway good luck.

You should get an MX bike. They are a lot easier to set up for desert riding, rather than convert a desert bike to MX. A lot of people who race hair scrables like the MX bikes because they handle whooped out trails better.

I ride my YZF on the track but I also use it for serious trail riding. IMO I think you'd be better off just getting an MX bike and maybe just putting a flywheel weight on for trails. I think MX bikes cross over to trails a bit better than trail bikes cross over to motocross. Granted my arse hurts a bit while riding trails on my YZF, but I'd rather have a versatile machine.

The mx will help. Since you are cool with the trail you can adapt to the mx there. The Trail bike is a total hinderance on a track unless you do a complete suspension job. The e start is nice but you will have more fun on the mx.

I moto an 05 CRFX right now. Originally bought it to spend 75% trails and some MX (at beg-novice levels). I don't get to the trails anywhere near 75%, so I'm upgrading to a CRFR as soon as the 07's are out here in Canada. I've ridden both on the track and the CRFR is a much better track bike. I'd go with the MX'er and buy a spark arrested quiet muffler for the trail rides (this is what I plan to do).

DEFINATELY get the mx bike. The only thing you will need to watch for when riding your mx bike on the trails is your rims. You can easily ding them when hitting rocks so make sure you keep track of your wheels. Your trail bike has an 18" rear and so it isnt as important to check it as it is with the 19" rear of the mx bike.

Wow - awesome feedback! I thought I might get 50/50 responses but its fairly obvious that I'm not out of line when thinking about going mxer.

Thanks everyone.

In the long run, it will be easier and possibly even cheaper to get a MX bike.

I would say 99% of the mods for making one bike into another would be MX -> Trail Bike. (Fly weights, Bash Plates, Lighting Kits, etc)

I rarely see kits that help convert a Trail bike into a MX bike. Know what I mean? Most riders start with a MX platform and work from there anyways.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

If you do buy a mx bike use it at the trails first as is, dont spend your money on (Fly weights, Lighting Kits, etc) maybe you`ll enjoy it more that way and it would still be good for the track.

I would recomend buying all the bike armour you could get. handguards, skid plate , disc rotor guards, etc.