Sign in to follow this  

Differences in 1998 to 2004 XR250's

Can someone give me BRIEF overview of the main differences in the XR250's between 1998 and 2004? I heard somewhere in this time period Honda made some significant changes to the model such as the weight.

It appears I am looking for an XR250 for my son. I am not really interested in anything older than 2000 and I know I want something relatively stock. Is there any particular model year I want to stay away from for any reason?

There were virtually no changes from the 96 to 2004 models except that in 2000 they turned red. There was no change in the weight and only minor other changes here and there. Nothing major. As they say bold new graphics!!! It will be a great bike for your grandson as long as he is big enough for the weight and height of the bike. I have a 2000 model with way too many mods to list and I regularly beat guys on new bikes that make fun of my bike before the race and wish they had one after. I have had a 2002 crf 450, a 2004 crf250x and keep coming back to my XR.

As said before, 96 thru 2004 seen very few changes. Virtually same bike for all those years

All the same save comsmetics, except '04, they went to a 5-speed tranny that year.

:thumbsup: