What bike for my 12 year old

I know this has been hashed a couple of times but looking for a little advice. My boy is 12, tall (5') and skinny. A buddy has an XR70 with an 88 kit in it and upgraded suspension for 1400.00 (can talk him down). Is this a good bike for a biginner (to small?)? I know I will need to sell it within a year and that makes a used bike appealing, should get most of what i pay for it back or if it is like the bike above just keep it for a pit bike and to share with neighbor kids.

I am not sure if he is even going to like riding - we do mostly desert trail riding but his buddies are into MX, I will take him to the track whenever he wants but he will be learning out in the desert.

Let me know what you think

TIA

Josh

Hmmmm. He's only going to grow so I say a 85cc MX'er. It will be harder for him to learn on than a TT-R 125 or CRF 100 or KLX/DRX 125 but in the long run he'll have it until he's about 14 whereas with the bikes I listed above he'll want something better in 4-6 months. The KX/RM 85's are slightly easier to learn on because the power valve that they have smoothes out the sudden hit that you'd get with a non-powervalve CR/YZ85.

I would say get him an 85cc 2 stroke!! Thats what my cousin started riding on when he was 11!!! Its not that hard for kids that age to learn!!! My cousin was hauling :ride: through the washes on his 2nd desert trip! We usually go to the desert on weekends!!! He had a little problem getting used to clutch, he would always let it go too fast and stall it :applause: ,but about after 20 times he stalled, he finally got it down :applause:?

That's another thing I forgot. If you get a 85cc race bike you'll have to know how to work on the bike. You'll have to be rebuilding it and replacing parts. Whereas a CRF150/230 won't be as powerful or good suspension and will get boring fast, it will be easier to learn on and maintenance will be about changing air filters, changing oil, tightening the chian, and just making sure everything is tight and operating good.

I would say it depends on your kid.

A first time rider has a lot going on. He is going to have to learn how to balance, shift, brake, etc. He's definitely old enough to pick up this stuff quickly of course so no worries there.

On an 85cc two stroke he's also going to have to learn about clutching, and the powerband. It's a good set of skills to learn but it can be intimidating for some kids.

I started mine at 9 on an XR70 knowing it was going to be too small very quickly. But he is the type that needs to have complete confidence in what he is doing. If I got him something too big he have gotten scared and/or frustrated and never rode it more than a few times. Instead I got him the XR knowing that he would learn on it quickly.

Just a few months later he is hammering on that bike pretty hard and we're talking about the next step up for him.

You know your kid and his personality so based on that you can probably decide. You did say that you're not sure if he's going to like it so it may be best to introduce him on something he iwll have more control over. You can always put him on the bigger more powerful bikes later.

I bought my son an XR200 to start on. I would go with a four-stoke to learn on. We ride in the desert also and I'm glad I bought the XR to learn on. It is much easier to control on trails than a 2-stroke. He has a little over a year on the bike now and is ready to move into something larger. You are going to have to move him up in a year or two just because he is getting taller, so start with an easy to learn on bike. I've seen kids quit riding because the were scared of their bikes. Let's face it, crashing is no fun! Riding is.

I personally would also say 85 two smoke. He will grow out of the xr70 real quick if not the second he sits on it but the drz 110 type four strokes look pretty tame so I would look into that. After PW80, XR70, XR80 aged kids there is not much to choose from with a 4 stoke that wont be outgrown quick. Can he touch the ground on an CFR100? if so maybe go for that. Its pretty tame and has real good resale value