Sign in to follow this  

What is an RC valve???

That little box on the side of 2 strokes that says rc valve...what is it? and is it only on hondas?

It was designed by and named after Ricky Carmichael (RC) when he rode for Honda, which means it's also very small (how else could it fit behind that cover?) and red on top.

:thumbsup:

its the remote control box. that way if you want to go to Honda and buy the remote for it, you can drive the bike with no one on it. its pretty neat actually..

lol naw im jp man. Its the power vavle. Its electronically controlled by a seperate servo motor by calbles. If im right, its closed until 3000 rpm and after that it slowly opens, and at 8000rmp is when its fully open

It was designed by and named after Ricky Carmichael (RC) when he rode for Honda, which means it's also very small (how else could it fit behind that cover?) and red on top.

:thumbsup:

:ride::applause::applause::applause:

"RC Valve"

A shitty powervalve design controlled by a servo motor that is connected to the CDI. Found on 2002-2007 CR250's and the 2004 CR125. Design originated from an older Honda 2-stroke streetbike motor. Often thought as the reason to why the new CR engines are lackluster compared to competitors

haha ..kidding...its just a powervalve thats controlled by the ignition and uses cables to actuate itself that are pulled by a servo motor..most bikes use a centrifigal type actuated valve

its based on the old nsr roadrace bike exhaust valve. then it made its way to the crm 250 and the crm 250ar. it finally ended up on the cr250 where it will most likely see its demise...sadly.

It really was a cool idea to gradually vary the exhaust port area rather than the abrupt transition with the ball-ramp setup, but I suspect we'll never know it's true potential......

It really was a cool idea to gradually vary the exhaust port area rather than the abrupt transition with the ball-ramp setup, but I suspect we'll never know it's true potential......

Yeah I guess that would have been the ticket, but it only works as closed or open there is no varying between. Which is why the CR250 02-07 has a kinda on/off throttle.

very small (how else could it fit behind that cover?) and red on top.
A Leprechaun valve :thumbsup: ???

A Leprechaun valve :thumbsup: ???

Just be sure not to get your Lucky Charms near it - remember, they're magically delicious! :ride:

Yeah I guess that would have been the ticket, but it only works as closed or open there is no varying between. Which is why the CR250 02-07 has a kinda on/off throttle.

Funny, everyone says how they have such a big hit, but my 03 with a JD jetting kit is smooth and linear, thankfully.

"RC Valve"

Often thought as the reason to why the new CR engines are lackluster compared to competitors

Actually, I think the case/reed induction has more to do with the lackluster image than the RC valve. It just happens both the RC valve and the case/reed came at the same time, so they both get tagged with the negative image.

The biggest complaint with the RC was the cable stretching and needing to be adjusted often.

Yeah I guess that would have been the ticket, but it only works as closed or open there is no varying between.
Odd. When I tested my '03 RC valve, it seemed to begin to open at 3,000 RPM and didn't fully open until somewhere around 8,000 RPM like the manual says. If I recall correctly, the opening seemed pretty linear with RPM and would stay partly open indefinitely if I kept the RPM at, say, 5,000 RPM. The operation of the CRV on my '01 seems much more on/off by comparison. Observing it in the garage, it pretty much slams open over a very narrow RPM range. The really odd thing is that my '01 seems to have a much more broad and flat powerband than I could get out of my '03........

Actually, I think the case/reed induction has more to do with the lackluster image than the RC valve. It just happens both the RC valve and the case/reed came at the same time, so they both get tagged with the negative image.

The biggest complaint with the RC was the cable stretching and needing to be adjusted often.

This is the big MXA myth that's simply a load of ....

The problem lies in the simplistic nature of the PV design and over-porting.

If it was the case-reed design then KTM wouldn't be able to get monster power out of their case-reed 250.

Perhaps it's actually the fork offset - I mean, isn't that their other cure-all for everything from poor jetting to bad valves? :thumbsup:

:ride:

• Like 1

So does everyone consider it a bad thing that honda put the rc valve on their bikes? Because I'm selling my 250f and getting a 250 two smoke soon and had my mind set on a honda...but I don't want to have to be adjusting these cables in the rc valve or anything. So how are all the other companies doing if they don't use RC? I'm not a big fan of powerbands on the two strokes...and if the cr's are the worst, I guess they're not an option for me anymore.

My advice: ride one. :thumbsup:

Everyone has a preference, see what you think.

My 03 is smooth, linear and feels weightless.

Does it have the low-end of my 02 YZ250?

No.

But it has enough strengths to make it an outstanding bike. Like I've said before, it's the best kept secret out there.

:ride: