Sign in to follow this  

First Vehicle?

I'm 15 and will be getting my license soon. I'm wondering what a good 1st car would be. In a perfect world it would be able to tow our 5000# TT better than our Yukon XL 1500. But it at least needs to be able to pull a 3 rail trailer at 70 mph safely, and stop the trailer. If I get a car it'd be cool if it was sort of fast, but then it also doesn't need to be. I'd like it to be able to seat 5 and get better than 15mpg. Also if it can tow our TT my parents will probably spend $9,000 and if it can only tow a 3 rail trailer then it'll only be about $7,000.

Edit: the smallest vehicle I'll be learning in will be a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Just get a nice F150 Lariat or Chevy 1500 Silverado. Either would be a good choice. If you get the F150 make sure to get the 5.4 or else you will have trouble towing. My F150 has the 5.4 and it just passed 160k miles this past month and it is STILL going with absolutely no problems AND its a 1997.

A cheap & durable vehicle for towing a small 3 rail trailer is a Mitsubish Montero. Not the sport, but the standard Montero. They are reliable, get decent gas mileage, pretty tough and very roomy.

I used to have one like this:

http://www.4x4wire.com/gallery/readers_rigs/Mitsubishi/t_lauffenburger.jpg

Funny part is, I miss that truck. Took me everywhere. I remember towing bikes/gear up a grade into Hell's Canyon between Oregon and Idaho and while a newer dodge durango in our group was overheating in the 105+ temps, the monetero, similarily loaded didn't miss a beat.

You can get these in decent condition all day long for 3-4k for a 4X4. Not bad.

I had a '66 VW Bug for my first car. It couldn't tow anything but for $10 in gas I could drive it around for a month.

I'd look for a cheap POS car that gets good gas mileage.

i just got my first car about 3 months ago i got a chevy s-10 it gets great gass milage and i can haule a couple bikes in the back i love it

I just turned 16 years old and i have been seriously looking At Nissan Frontier's,Titans (to expensive) Toyota Tundra's, F-150's, all mostly smaller trucks but my fav's have been the Tundra's, Frontier's, and some F-150's.

i thought you were getting the biggest 350 you could as soon as you could? what ever happened to that?

I will get one of those as soon as I can.... I have to be able to afford one first. :thumbsup:

Plus... I only want a 3/4 ton.

I'm 15 and will be getting my license soon. I'm wondering what a good 1st car would be. In a perfect world it would be able to tow our 5000# TT better than our Yukon XL 1500. But it at least needs to be able to pull a 3 rail trailer at 70 mph safely, and stop the trailer. If I get a car it'd be cool if it was sort of fast, but then it also doesn't need to be. I'd like it to be able to seat 5 and get better than 15mpg. Also if it can tow our TT my parents will probably spend $9,000 and if it can only tow a 3 rail trailer then it'll only be about $7,000.

Edit: the smallest vehicle I'll be learning in will be a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

why dont u get a better bike before u get a truck

why dont u get a better bike before u get a truck

Because I need a vehicle to get the bike to riding spots. :thumbsup:

Also, I'm getting a better bike soon, I just need to find a cheap one. I'm buying my new bike and the rent's are getting the car.

Why not a Cherokee or Liberty? I love my Liberty, it is my first car! You could find older Cherokees in your price range, seat 5, tow a trailer all day, and get decent mileage!

Why not a Cherokee or Liberty? I love my Liberty, it is my first car! You could find older Cherokees in your price range, seat 5, tow a trailer all day, and get decent mileage!

Haha you're right on all that except the decent mileage. We already have a cherokee in the family and wont ever buy another jeep unless we have a really good reason. Ours has broke down so many times its not even funny. But a SUV would be sweet because I could sleep in it.