Sign in to follow this  

250SX best 250 two stroke?

I dont want to get away from two strokes, so after I move up from my 125, I will purchase a 250 two stroke. I have been a "ride red" guy for a while, but the CR250's havent exactly had a great motor lately. If I am going to be racing against 450's, I need something that has power everywhere, and from what I have read and heard, the KTM 250SX has that. I plan on getting my suspension done whether I go Honda or KTM, so it doesnt matter that the KTM doesnt have great stock suspension. What do you guys think? Would the CR be giving up that much more than the KTM against the 450's?

I have had both 250 2-strokes, and the Honda motor just isn't up to par with the KTM. It is a good motor, but not near as strong as the KTM. The Kawasaki and Yamaha motors are much closer to the KTM. The new 2007 KTM chassis will handle just as good as the honda. The only thing I would look into is the KTM vibrated a bit, and the honda didn't. KTM saya they fixed this for 07, so wee will see. Personaly, after owning both, I would buy the KTM.

P.S. After having a hydrolic clutch, i'ts hard to use anything alse. I love the KTM clutch.

If your #1 concern is flat out power, KTM is w/out a doubt the leader in that category. Yamaha does make a sick 2 stroke and is a great option if you don't want to pay the bit extra for the KTM.

i dont want to turn this into a brand war, but ktm makes the best 250 smoker out there. youll pay a little more, but its worth it

Have a ride on a new RM250, theyre my pick of the smokers. Well 06, havent ridden an 07 yet, but theres one at our local dealer

I am not going to buy a Blue or Yellow bike. Its either Red or Orange. I am really a Honda guy, but a week motor in the CR isnt very appealing when going out against 450's. I know the KTM has the best motor, and suspension can be fixed with a revalve.

If you won't buy blue (the best choice) or yellow (awesome but a little fidgety for me), go with orange. The CR250 is definately doing things the hard way. It runs like a giant 125 engine. And we all know how popular 125s are now, don't we?

I am not going to buy a Blue or Yellow bike. Its either Red or Orange. I am really a Honda guy, but a week motor in the CR isnt very appealing when going out against 450's. I know the KTM has the best motor, and suspension can be fixed with a revalve.

Are you retarded? Your giong to spend thousands of dollars on an 07 bike and let the color be the determining factor, that's just plain stupid. If you can afford it, get the best bike for that year and change the plastics. :thumbsup::applause::ride:

If I was in the market for a brand new 250 smoker it would be a YZ. The Hondas motors are weak, the KTM's linkless shock takes a lot more than a revalve to attempt to fix it, the Kawi is a fine bike, but i'm not a fan as it does nothing spectacular by any stretch and the Suzuki is in the same boat as the Kawi. The YZ does everything well. The motor rips, the suspension is great, it turns awesome and it has a killer aluminum frame, better than the Honda.

If it were me, I would buy the KTM. On the other hand, I would be just as happy with the YZ, RM, or KX in that order. They are all gonna get the job done including the honda, but the honda just hasn't been a good bike in the power department lately so why handicap yourself that bad. I think it is a safe bet that the 250sx suspension is gonna be far improved this year from the early reports on the other models. As long as it's got 2 strokes, i'm more than happy to ride it.

I will say this though, if you plan on doing any offroad on the bike, the KTM definately takes the cake. Dirt rider or Dirt bike did a comparison of all 5 bikes both on the track and off road. As usual they pick the KTM low for the track but put it number one for offroad... and yes i'm talking about the SX not the exc. I do however notice all those FMX guys love the ktm, must not be that bad.