Sign in to follow this  

spring seat removal?!

im replacing the rear spring on my 2001 xr400 and im at the point where i need to remove the spring seat so i can take off the old spring and put on the new one. all my manual says to do is to remove rubber seat from spring seat and then remove the spring seat. easier said than done. it doesnt say how to remove the spring seat from the shock assembly and its definitely not very apparent how to figure it out yourself. any help would be greatly appreciated. the mounting bracket for the linkage is in the way of the spring seat and i dotn know how to get around it. thanks

The spring seat is held on by a lock ring on the part that is sandwiched between part 9 and part 10 in the drawing. I'll call this un-named part the "seat base". Loosen both lock nuts completely and slide the shock spring all the way up on the shock. The spring seat will then slide up off the "seat base" to reveal the lock ring on the "seat base". If the seat has been in place for a long time or is really dirty it may be mildly siezed to the "seat base". You may need to persuade it off the "seat base" by spraying it with brake cleaner and penetrating oil then tapping it off the "seat base" with a hammer. Next, remove the lock ring from the "seat base" and slide the spring seat over the "seat base" and off the shock assembly.