conflicting jetting info on forum

I am doing the 3x3 mod on my DRZ400E and was going to follow the advice on www.drz.info which says to install a 165 main jet and 45 pilot.

My bike currently has a 142 main and 45 pilot.

However having spent today looking at the forum I am seeing a lot of conficting information, some people seem to be using anything from 150 to 165 and 142 to 165 seems like a big jump to me.

Is it possible that different bikes have different jetting in each country ?

Do I really want to jump from 142 to 165 ???

Thanks .

I think the major reason there is such a spectrum of jet sizes is not everyone lists what type of bike the jetting is for.

SM

- 150 main jet (155mj for full exhaust system)

- 25 pilot jet

- 2nd clip on needle from top

- 2.5 turns out on fuel screw

S

- 140 – 142.mj (bigger for exhaust)

- 25 pilot jet

- 4th position from top

- 2.5 to 3 turns out on fuel screw

Not sure where the "E" fits in and honestly have no idea why there is different jetting for the S vs. the SM.

My 04 E had the same stock jets as yours. I changed it to 160 and it runs good. End of pipe not even black. Also I drilled out the stock pipe end cap. I think you don't need any bigger unless you have good aftermarket pipe on the bike.I an at 600 ft above see level.

The info is not "conflicting" in my opinion. Just different times from different sources for different reasons. For the E bike, 142 is stock for the bike with the restriction in the air box intake. (US bikes all come with it, I did not know UK bikes did too. Maybe it is new for you). Anyway, 142 with the intake restriction. 165 per Suzuki with the restriction removed. That is a bit on the rich conservative side. So experience has shown 155 to 160 to be more suitable. What exhaust do you have? The "open" UK pipe or the US style with a real muffler. That will make a difference too. Also what needle does the UK bike come with? OBDXP? If so, start with a 160 main and the needle set dash 5 (from the top) (OBDXP-5) That will work. If not perfect, at least better than stock

Jetting will vary depedning on where you live. Different elevations will require different jetting setups. A Rocky Mountain rider will not have the same jetting as a rider in Florida, both owning the same exact bikes. Riding styles will have an effect on jetting also..A wide open throttle guy will jet different than a plug along the trail guy to be happy with their respective performane. Jetting is not an exact science. Set ups are good guidelines. Ya have to fiddle with it.

The info is not "conflicting" in my opinion. Just different times from different sources for different reasons. For the E bike, 142 is stock for the bike with the restriction in the air box intake. (US bikes all come with it, I did not know UK bikes did too. Maybe it is new for you). Anyway, 142 with the intake restriction. 165 per Suzuki with the restriction removed. That is a bit on the rich conservative side. So experience has shown 155 to 160 to be more suitable. What exhaust do you have? The "open" UK pipe or the US style with a real muffler. That will make a difference too. Also what needle does the UK bike come with? OBDXP? If so, start with a 160 main and the needle set dash 5 (from the top) (OBDXP-5) That will work. If not perfect, at least better than stock

My 06' E came from the dealer with the snorkel removed and rejetted....assuming it must be a 165 per Nobles input (I'll have to check one of these days) The bike runs great on the road, at altitude, and on the trail...(stock exhaust for now)