Sign in to follow this  

KX450 Suspension...after 11 months...

Just did a So Cal track tour on my Fo Fiddy and got to have a VERY informative talk with Ross Maeda of Enzo Suspension.

As some of you know, the "Stocker" (Shock) runs a bit soft 'til about mid-stroke and then get's real firm...and...it does that REAL QUICK!

The fix is ALL valving. PERIOD.

How do I know this? 'Cause even your favorite racer, James Stewart, is running stock "Geometry" (This per his suspension guy, Ross) after tryin' a few other links.

My personal scoot runs Suspension by Langston's (With lots of input from his son's Pro-Circuit testing...thank you!)

...AND! I'm back to the stock link and I'm runnin' even MORE rebound than I started with; also, I take a lot of hints and suggestions from guys like Ross.

Get the spring rate right, pick your "Valving Guy" and go!

Up front...the forks...Pullllllease!

It don't get much better than this!

Get the Springs right and start clickin'!

Me? I've got DLC, Langston's magic and I keep the oil fresh.

I'm 190# and I'm runnin' stock springs.

Why?

I like to "Scrub" and "Float" as much as possible and I rely on valving that's just a lil' firm (Initially) and pretty progressive thru the stroke (Front and Rear).

I hope this helps some of you with questions and the constant wondering of "Should I get a link, valving...both?"

The bottom line:

At Cahuilla Creek, Ross was runnin' his valving, DLC, his Resevoir thingy...and...

A S-T-O-C-K link!

Good luck!

I rode a buddies KXF with worked suspension back to back to mine last week. His wasn't even done by a Nationally known shop, but was still WAY better than mine. I plan on getting mine done over the winter.

Any advice, do you need to go with a big name like Enzo, PC, FC, or RG3 or is this pretty straightforward so that any good suspension guy can do it. Alot of local racers are using Borelli or MXtech because they do good work and are based in Illinois. If I do this over the winter the turnaround won't matter.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the big names over the local guys.

...AND! I'm back to the stock link and I'm runnin' even MORE rebound than I started with;

Good luck!

So by more rebound do you mean more reb dampning (clicker in)? I ran out of reb dampning when i went to a harder spring so looking at getting whole shock done - different reb and comp valving, do you have any idea what spec shims the 'good' companies are using? will get local suspension guy to try and come up with a fix.

I had about 40 hours on the stock suspension and knew it could be better. The front was starting to bind on big G-outs and the rear would swap left or right. I pulled the suspension out and took it to Ross and he did the revalve and seal/bushing fix. I ride all around and two trips to Amago and she is dialed in. The rear does not swap at all any more and the faster I go over the rough sections the smoother it rolls. For $426.00 it was worth every penny. I also just put new rubber ditching the dudlops with Maxxis IT's. They hook up and the rear is a 110 not a 120, big difference IMO. Teamgreen you are correct about Ross knowing the Kayaba inside and out. If you send the suspension off to ENZO you will not be disappointed. :thumbsup:

I still have yet to get out to Cahuilla and test it there but one of these days I will have a case of anal glaucoma and go riding instead. :ride:

Answers and Comments...

On your "Local Guys"...

If you've got POSITIVE results and feel it's a good group/guy and you can get some help at local events...DO IT!

By goin' with a local guy you might be doin' yourself a favor.

HOWEVER, it would be a REL GOOD thing to try and ride bikes with other set-ups from other companies -AND- it would also be a really good thing to get to do some "Clickin' " on those bikes.

On "Rebound"...yup! You nailed it!

On the Stock set-up I ran outta rebound Realllllly quick! And that's with a stock spring (As I previously stated, I like the stock rate for now).

Mu Revalved/Langston's shock seems to be inline with Enzo and P.C.'s latest stuff.

My forks, in all honesty (Also, Langston's) are MAGIC! They've fricken ruined me with the DLC stuff...It'll get it done on EVERYTHING from here on out...I'm a real stickler for Sticition and "Packing"...I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!

Perception is everything...just call me a Sucker; BUT!...Don't you ride a HELLUVA lot better when you feel really good/confident about your scoot?

On the 40 hours and no oil change...(That was most likely the problem).

I'm glad you've had positive results from Ross and I hope your still making adjustments between Hardpacked and Sand Tracks.

On tires...

I'm running a Strange Combo lately:

The "New" Perelli Scorpion front and the Carlsbad (120-Not the "Sticky") for my "Go Everywhere/Anywhere" combo. Even on the SAND...like "Beach" sand!

The Kenda Carlsbad has surprised me from day 1!

The Scorpion is a lot like the Michelin S12; yet, it may not be quite as good in the Sand/Wet...but, it seems a bit better "All Around" which includes the strange soils out here in the west. You can go from Sand to Hard Packed and back again SEVERAL TIMES a lap out here!

Good luck to all!

This is definitely a FAQ worthy thread!!! I hope some other chime in and give some more feedback and or updates on their current suspension settings. We haven't had a good suspension discussion in a LONG time!!!

yeah, these bikes come with way too little rebound dampening, i was at 1-3 clicks on stock spring. Now with a 5.6 spring and reb fully in - time for revalve. Just out of curiosity is anyone running a .48 (front) 5.8 (shock) spring combo? i hear this setup gives really nice balance between front and rear.

has anybody tried mxtech or pro-action suspension.their both within driving distance of me. im not as lucky as the cali riders as it would cost me alot in shipping to send my suspension that far (enzo or pro circuit). :thumbsup:

has anybody tried mxtech or pro-action suspension.their both within driving distance of me. im not as lucky as the cali riders as it would cost me alot in shipping to send my suspension that far (enzo or pro circuit). :thumbsup:
MX tech is safe, but also Borelli is very good and probably a little cheaper. Depends on what you want. MXtech is probably more track friendly, but Borelli does very good work also, I rode an 06 CRF450 with Borelli on it last weekend and it was good, very good.

Borelli is in Mendota, not sure where you are or how far that is. MXtech is down south.

im in central illinois.ive never heard of borelli.mxtech and pro action are both about an hour and a half from me.im over 200lbs and need something that lands smoother on the bigger jumps. i had race tech on my last bike and wasnt to impressed.

I don't have a KX, (currently riding a 06 YZ 450) but have had MX Tech redo the valving in my last 3 bikes. I weigh 220 lb with gear so I always have my suspension redone. I think they do excellent work. I have a friend (who weighs about the same) with an 06 RMZ 450 who used Borelli and he is very happy with them. I would say the MX Tech is slightly more plush and the Borelli is slightly more stiff but handles "big air" landings slightly better. In my opinion either shop can do a good job for you if your honest about your weight, ability and the type of riding you do.

I had used Pro Circuit before switching to MX Tech and although both were good, I honestly felt that the forks from MX Tech were better.

By the way I was lucky enough to ride a new KX 450 and they are awesome bikes.

Borelli is pretty well known up here in the Chicago area, they are out of Mendota. I would say around here most people are using them or MXtech. The big advantage here for MXtech is Jeremy is often at the local races, I even see him on practice nights at Joliet, so he can help if you need fine tuning.

You can't go wrong either way, they are both very good. Much better than stock. I have to choose between them shortly myself. That's the next mod I am doing. Let me know what you decide and how you like the work once you get it done.

Borelli is in Mendota, not sure where you are or how far that is. MXtech is down south.

Man, that's a trip... my wife is from the little corn farming community of Mendota!!!!

Man, that's a trip... my wife is from the little corn farming community of Mendota!!!!
She must be proud. :thumbsup: Actually, it's not a bad town and for us riders would be a great place to live. The best tracks in Illinois are within 1 hour and you cold pick between about 5 of them all within that hours drive.

Just did a So Cal track tour on my Fo Fiddy and got to have a VERY informative talk with Ross Maeda of Enzo Suspension.

As some of you know, the "Stocker" (Shock) runs a bit soft 'til about mid-stroke and then get's real firm...and...it does that REAL QUICK!

The fix is ALL valving. PERIOD.

How do I know this? 'Cause even your favorite racer, James Stewart, is running stock "Geometry" (This per his suspension guy, Ross) after tryin' a few other links.

My personal scoot runs Suspension by Langston's (With lots of input from his son's Pro-Circuit testing...thank you!)

...AND! I'm back to the stock link and I'm runnin' even MORE rebound than I started with; also, I take a lot of hints and suggestions from guys like Ross.

Get the spring rate right, pick your "Valving Guy" and go!

Up front...the forks...Pullllllease!

It don't get much better than this!

Get the Springs right and start clickin'!

Me? I've got DLC, Langston's magic and I keep the oil fresh.

I'm 190# and I'm runnin' stock springs.

Why?

I like to "Scrub" and "Float" as much as possible and I rely on valving that's just a lil' firm (Initially) and pretty progressive thru the stroke (Front and Rear).

I hope this helps some of you with questions and the constant wondering of "Should I get a link, valving...both?"

The bottom line:

At Cahuilla Creek, Ross was runnin' his valving, DLC, his Resevoir thingy...and...

A S-T-O-C-K link!

Good luck!

than why did kawi change their link for 07?...........Pro-circuits team uses the link including stewart and runs different t-clamp offset that was for supercross maybe nationals is different. Langston did my susp and it was the worst revalve I've ever had........some 18yr old kid came out to the track to help me dial it in and he couldnt( imagine that).... they were that far off on the valving.....They aso jetted my bike for a new pipe and screwed that up......pro-circuits testing has little to do with average riders..........They told me they had the in on ktm cause grants brother works for them and knows the susp and grant being former ktm and blah,blah, blah..............just my experience with em.......How many bikes do you see at the track with their susp tells the tale...........I've seen maybe 2 in three years....shoulda known better

She must be proud. :ride: Actually, it's not a bad town and for us riders would be a great place to live. The best tracks in Illinois are within 1 hour and you cold pick between about 5 of them all within that hours drive.

<threadHyjack>

Sorry for the hyjack...

Proud??? HA!!! NOT!!! :thumbsup:

I have to say, I miss it up there. I'm from the Peoria area. Outside of my stint in the USAF when I turned 18, I lived in various parts of that region for my first 28 years of existence (Peoria, Washington, Pekin, Morton, Mackinaw). There are still many a day I wish I still lived up there and most of my family still does. I don't miss the winters though but man the dirt is soooo much better than the sugar sand of Florida!!!!!!

</threadHyjack>

than why did kawi change their link for 07?...........Pro-circuits team uses the link including stewart and runs different t-clamp offset that was for supercross maybe nationals is different. Langston did my susp and it was the worst revalve I've ever had........some 18yr old kid came out to the track to help me dial it in and he couldnt( imagine that).... they were that far off on the valving.....They aso jetted my bike for a new pipe and screwed that up......pro-circuits testing has little to do with average riders..........They told me they had the in on ktm cause grants brother works for them and knows the susp and grant being former ktm and blah,blah, blah..............just my experience with em.......How many bikes do you see at the track with their susp tells the tale...........I've seen maybe 2 in three years....shoulda known better

As for the link...

Take a look at Who's runnin' What link and if it's really any different. And, yes, the '07 is supposed to be a lil different. We'll see when it gets here.

As to Langston's...

The Re-Valve was done by a mechanic/tuner that now works on Yamaha's Super-Mo Team. I know him. He's dam good; infact, while working on the stuff he'd ask questions of the old-man and a friend at Team Green to make sure he got it right. And, he was valving to our requested set-up.

Then there's this: Who does Grant ride for? Who was the 1st person to run this stuff (These same suspension components) here in the U.S. (Hint, Glen Helen 2005...)

You may have had a bad experience with them and I'm sure that would suck; however, this ain't my 1st rodeo and I'm pleased with their work.