Sign in to follow this  

Crank Oil Jet/Passage

Long story short I took my bike to the dealer down the street to have them pop off the flywheel since I have neither the correct puller or an impact and they said they would do it for free. I specifically asked if they had the correct style puller with the crank end cap and the service manager said they did. I took a look at the crank when they were done and it looks like the oil jet (piece in the center of the crank) is pressed in about .125", I asked the mechanic to show me the puller he used and it was one without the cap. The actual hole in the center looks fine with no burs or damage and the brass insert the jet sits in also looks undamaged. I took a piece of safety wire and probed around and the jet feels completely unobstructed. Anyone have an experience here? I imagine there is just a straight passage to the center of the crank and the jet is only to meter the oil flow, my only concern is if there are radially drilled holes for some reason the jet could now be obstructing (I doubt this though do to the minimal wall thickness) or if the jet could come loose since it is pressed further in. Has anyone ever removed the jet from the crank for inspection? Advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Long story short I took my bike to the dealer down the street to have them pop off the flywheel since I have neither the correct puller or an impact and they said they would do it for free. I specifically asked if they had the correct style puller with the crank end cap and the service manager said they did. I took a look at the crank when they were done and it looks like the oil jet (piece in the center of the crank) is pressed in about .125", I asked the mechanic to show me the puller he used and it was one without the cap. The actual hole in the center looks fine with no burs or damage and the brass insert the jet sits in also looks undamaged. I took a piece of safety wire and probed around and the jet feels completely unobstructed. Anyone have an experience here? I imagine there is just a straight passage to the center of the crank and the jet is only to meter the oil flow, my only concern is if there are radially drilled holes for some reason the jet could now be obstructing (I doubt this though do to the minimal wall thickness) or if the jet could come loose since it is pressed further in. Has anyone ever removed the jet from the crank for inspection? Advice is appreciated. Thanks.

this really pisses me off----and yes i get motors that look just like your talking ---- :ride::applause::applause: ---and i half to get with the customer and tell him that the last guy did not have the correct tool and that it is not correct and blah blah blah --

i have also had i can't tell you how many bikes i have Had brought to me with the crank end broken off ( be very careful when you torque the nut back on because it will brake in half very easy -----they want 43 ft lbs and i only go like 40 max ---)

but no it wont hurt anything and you will be fine but it just makes me and i am sure you mad -- :thumbsup::applause::applause:

I spend quite a bit of time inside the TRX450R motors and you should see the difference in the diameter ends between the '04,'05 TRX motors and the '06's! They changed the diameter on the '06 quite a bit and we've snapped the ends off two of the '06's so far using a high quality torque wrench! I'm talking brand new cranks too, not cool!!!

Have you seen this same change in the cranks in any years for the CRF450R motors?

I spend quite a bit of time inside the TRX450R motors and you should see the difference in the diameter ends between the '04,'05 TRX motors and the '06's! They changed the diameter on the '06 quite a bit and we've snapped the ends off two of the '06's so far using a high quality torque wrench! I'm talking brand new cranks too, not cool!!!

Have you seen this same change in the cranks in any years for the CRF450R motors?

yes i have noticed through the years on the bikes as well as the trx and the x's that honda has been playing with that crank mag end,

and i just get so paranoid when i have to torque one down ,

i go so slow and careful ,( i use a week wrench and never go over 40 ever , and i go in two steps very slow )

and i had my brother snap off the end of his Buddy's 06 crf and he was just devastated , ( his best friend was none to happy either )---

( and of course i got stuck with changing the crank out )

that is why i get so mad when i see these shops use the wrong tool and put undue stress on that poor end and the guys just spin the nut back on with a 1/2" impact ----this is a real easy place to screw up a crf,

these poor guys on the x's that want to change several different weighted flywheels have no idea how close to complete disaster and a $1,500 or more repair bill they are playing with .

i got one x from a big named hop up shop here in town and they had changed the flywheel weight twice for him and he was out riding it for the first time after the second heavy wheel had been installed and the end broke off while riding and left him in the desert and really screwed the bike up ,

the shop denied any wrong doing ( even tho the end of the crank obviously had the wrong tool used on it and the threads had been cracked with the 1/2"

impact )

the guy could not believe what it took to get the bike back together again---

so yes --this is a real sore spot with me :thumbsup::ride:

Newbie question here....

You guys are talking about the nut that holds the flywheel on... right?

All this can be avoided buy purchasing and using the $20 flywheel puller like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLYWHEEL-PULLER-HONDA-CRF-250-250R-250X-450-450X-450R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43972QQihZ001QQitemZ110014273964QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Or are you guys talking about the installation of the flywheel using an impact gun instead of a good torque wrench?

I have not had to split cases or change a flywheel on one of these motors yet but I am sure I will have to sooner or later...

Newbie question here....

You guys are talking about the nut that holds the flywheel on... right?

All this can be avoided buy purchasing and using the $20 flywheel puller like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLYWHEEL-PULLER-HONDA-CRF-250-250R-250X-450-450X-450R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43972QQihZ001QQitemZ110014273964QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Or are you guys talking about the installation of the flywheel using an impact gun instead of a good torque wrench?

I have not had to split cases or change a flywheel on one of these motors yet but I am sure I will have to sooner or later...

yes --and be very careful when you install the nut ----use a good week wrench and go slow and do not try and go the 43 like the book says.

and yes we have the correct tool for removal its just most of the shops out there do not have the tool and screw the end up and then most of them install the nut back on with a gun and there you go---. :ride:

i have had to replace more cranks in these bikes because some guys do not understand what they are working on ---nor do they care ,

and i have to put up with a pissy customer right out the gate and straighten it out and instruct him on why it happened and how to keep it from happening again ! :thumbsup:

and yes we have the correct tool for removal its just most of the shops out there do not have the tool and screw the end up

What's crazy is the proper FW puller is only like $25! :thumbsup:

yes --and be very careful when you install the nut ----use a good week wrench and go slow and do not try and go the 43 like the book says.

and yes we have the correct tool for removal its just most of the shops out there do not have the tool and screw the end up and then most of them install the nut back on with a gun and there you go---. :ride:

i have had to replace more cranks in these bikes because some guys do not understand what they are working on ---nor do they care ,

and i have to put up with a pissy customer right out the gate and straighten it out and instruct him on why it happened and how to keep it from happening again ! :thumbsup:

OK... thanks for clearing that up for me!!!