Sign in to follow this  

DR200 - Too small for me?

I think it's too small for me, but here is my scenario. I have a DR650 now, and it's fine for commuting back and forth to work and on the road. However, I try to go out every weekend and do some trail riding. While my 650 is great on long flat road where I can go really fast, it is just such a big heavy bike, and I would like to have something small and nimble to do my trial rides on. I really don't do extreme off-roading, but would like to take on some back woods forest roads on occasion. But mostly just go out with my buddy (who rides a quad) and do some light off roading on the weekends. The DR200 seems like such a nice small size for casual off roading...and I would be able to handle it so easy. I have fallen over on my DR650 many times because of the hight of the bike, and it is heavy to lift up. I don't know of any dealerships that will let me test ride a motorcycle, and whiile the DR200 seems great size wise, it is probably severly lacking in power for a gue my size. I am about 5' 10" and about 205lbs. Is considering a DR200 a really bad choice? While I wouldn't do any long street rides on the bike, I REALLY like the option of having it street legal...without having to do conversions on a dirt only bike. Are there any men out there around 200lbs who ride a DR200?

Thanks for any advice.

Dood! My last dualsport was a 84 tt600 that I did a conversion on... WOW whata bike, but I got lazy and tired of kicking that motor so I upgraded to the DR650 :thumbsup: What a bummer!

I am in no way dissing da zuki but for real dirt riding dualsport or not you need some seriously nobby tires, real power, and the suspension to handle it.

I am 39 yrs. young, 5'9", round 170 ish and really needing some performance upgrades to come close to my old 22 year old dirt bike......

If you look at my previous post and follow some of the other guys advise like I will You might be happy with your DR, I think I will....

P.S. for your size the 200 will just be a toy I think.

I can't speak on the dr200 directly. A good friend has a xt 225 yammi though and it will go (and has gone) anywhere with a full size/180lb adult. No joke..It has a six speed too. :thumbsup:

I think it's too small for me, but here is my scenario. I have a DR650 now, and it's fine for commuting back and forth to work and on the road. However, I try to go out every weekend and do some trail riding. While my 650 is great on long flat road where I can go really fast, it is just such a big heavy bike, and I would like to have something small and nimble to do my trial rides on. I really don't do extreme off-roading, but would like to take on some back woods forest roads on occasion. But mostly just go out with my buddy (who rides a quad) and do some light off roading on the weekends. The DR200 seems like such a nice small size for casual off roading...and I would be able to handle it so easy. I have fallen over on my DR650 many times because of the hight of the bike, and it is heavy to lift up. I don't know of any dealerships that will let me test ride a motorcycle, and whiile the DR200 seems great size wise, it is probably severly lacking in power for a gue my size. I am about 6' 10" and about 205lbs. Is considering a DR200 a really bad choice? While I wouldn't do any long street rides on the bike, I REALLY like the option of having it street legal...without having to do conversions on a dirt only bike. Are there any men out there around 200lbs who ride a DR200?

Thanks for any advice.

I am going to assume you meant trail, not trial rides.

I have a klr250 which 'feels' heavy and tall to me - something like a 34" seat.

The suspension is really soft which is ok for the road but the stuff I ride on falling was the norm. Then came the TE250 with 38" seat and MUCH better suspension. Now more in control and it actually feels shorter than the KLR250 because everything is under much better control. Just a thought.

You did not mention a budget but other options might be KLX250s or the XT225 which is HIGHLY underrated. Of course if you are just playing around on trails (as opposed to racing) the DR200 might just be the ticket. Seems suspension and tire selection are important no matter what you are riding.

Sorry, guys...looks like I need proof read my posts a little better. I am 5' 10"...and I meant trail rides.

I do love my 650 and plan on keeping it. It's just that my brother crashed my 650 recently on a gravel road (fairly minor damage to my bike but he separated his shoulder pretty bad) and I have been close to crashing numerous times (on the dirt...not street). I also have dropped the bike a bunch of times cause of the height and weight of the 650. I think I am just a bit paranoid now after the crash on the 650 for off roading. I am just looking for a small, manageable dirt bike to ride around on trails and back roads on the weekends. The 200 is definitely small, and probably not a good choice.

coffee, just took a look at the KLX 250S on the internet...that looks a bit more off-road capable than the DR200, not to mention a few more cc's. Thanks for the tip.

I know exactly what you want because we are the same it seems. Don't know what bike would make you happy, your budget, or anything. But in all seriousness this helped tremendously.

That and going to the TT section for your area and meeting people with similar interests and possibly riding other bikes. You could pick up a non-plated dirt bike for a little while if the right one comes up on craigs list and sell it in 6 months or whatever. KDX200, crf230, etc. - might even make some $ if you get lucky. Of course that only works if you use a trailer/truck to get to where you are going. Isn't it pretty easy to get a plate in AZ? You may at least want to glace at the Dual sport section of TT.

That klx250s looks like one heavy mama - 262lbs dry weight.... Dry weight means almost nothing and I bet its curb weight is as much or more as my klr250 (295 curb weight, 258 dry weight).

edit: As a reference point the crf230 and crf250x are about 250lbs curb weight - 50 lbs is a LOT of extra weight. I think the kdx200 might be 235??? can't really find a good # on that. And the street legal TE250 is 261 but it does not feel heavy to me for the reasons stated earlier.

best of luck.

For logging roads and light trail duty the DR650 is an AWESOME bike, this is what it was designed for. Being 5' 10" the ground factor shouldn't be a factor...just practice. Also, slow down a bit, gain some confidence and everything will fall into place. The DR200 is a great trail bike (once it's uncorked) and will go anywhere if you take your time, but the 650 is the same, with an awesome engine. You have the right bike for what you're intending to do, just need some practice and maybe better tires for off road. Are you running DOT knobbies or are you running Deathwings?

I put Pirelli MT-21's on the bike after I bought it, but they wear bad on the road. They do seem good on the dirt though.

KDX200 would be a better choice IMHO

Great trail bike, dependable and for a 2stroke, they are super easy to start

Here's a good site to check out, might even find somebody close to let you see one in action www.kdxrider.net

I have always wanted Suzuki to put the 400 engine on the DR200 frame; that would about do it. Your gut feeling is right... the 200 is the perfect size and weight, but you'll be hating it in less than a week because it is so under-powered.

I am 5'5.5" 165 and 42 years of age. I had a 05 DR650 converted for off road use and it did well but eats rear tires and wears on the body. Throttle and brake sliding is the method of movements in the technical terrain. I switched to a fairly tricked out KDX and don't miss the power or weight of the DR for off road. If you can get a plated off road bike that is what would be best or if your state will let you plate an off road bike. The DR 200 will make you feel and look like a circus clown on a tricycle. keep the DR for commuting get a trail bike you will have fun and wont end up taking the car to work.

Circus Clown on a tricycle...Too Funny! Thanks for the advice everyone...I think the 200 is a no go.

Been there, done that. Twenty some-odd years ago my buddy and I were riding XL500s which were great for back road touring and such but, heavy, hernia inducing pigs on the trail. We kept the XLs for adventure touring (a favorite moment was blasting past a herd of Goldwing riders in a driving rainstorm) and bought a pair of XR200s for trail and woods riding. Even then they were a long way from state of the art. We wern't into competition, just weekend fun riding in tight woods and the little XRs were a blast. We even took them on several trips to southwestern Colorado where we did everything from Black Bear pass to Engineer mountain. If your ego can take it there is nothing more fun than a light, simple play bike. To me, going 10/10th on a small bike is as much or more fun than using 70% of a biger, faster bikes potential. There is a point where more power is not your friend in the dirt unless you're in the desert. We finally switched to DP bikes because land use issues made a dirt only bike impractical. I still have the XR and it is currently undergoing restoration for a second round of playbiking.

If you are not worried about "racing" or going too fast, just out for some fun trail riding, forest roads and such, it should be fine. If you don't need to be doing 45+ on dirt roads, roosting in the turns and such, it should be fine.

I'm closer to 300# and I actually "downgraded" from an '01 XT225 to an '03DR200SE. It's much more comfortable to sit on all day, holds more fuel, (though it's not been needed) and feels as light, or lighter, then the XT225.

Some of the forest roads I've been on, end with a gate and instead of riding back 20 some odd miles of dirt roads, we just lean the bike way over and pass it through, under the gate and ride the four or so miles back to the trailer on the paved highway. =)

That can be a "life saver" after 6+ hours of riding. =)

Best advice, go test one. Don't worry what others think you'll look like. If it's fun and does the job, who gives a hoot what someone else cares?

If someone made a 200-250cc Dual Sport, with a 30" seat height, around 200# or less, with similar capabilities of a DR200SE, I would buy it in a heart beat, if it was under $7,000.

Some of the motorized mountain bikes look promising, though, I need something that is street legal.

Good luck.

Do you think a DR200 would be too small for me? I am 5' 11" and 140lbs. I literally just sold my 03 YZ125 to buy a street legal dirt bike... I have a budget over under $2500 but could stretch it if I really had to. I'd ideally want a TE250 or TE450....but don't really wanna take out that kind of loan...

I have a DRZ400 aand my wife has the DR200. I've went out riding with friends though and we will swap bikes around so we both get a chance to ride the bigger bike. Here's my take on the 200 from someone 6'2" and 205 lbs. It sits terribly low, which may be a plus to you shorter guys. It is underpowered, but can work. I've cllimbed steep hills with it and cleared decent air. The key is you have to hit the hills hard. You don't have the torque to let it lug and chug, you have to ride it hard or you'll find yourself stalling out a lot.

For a guy 140lbs it will be fine, but will not have near the power of a 2stroke 125.

I'm agreeing with the post above, if someone would make a dual sport with around a 29-30" seat, 300cc, modern suspension and sell it for under $6k it would be a great seller, but nobody seems to be listening at any of the big companies.

George

we have a 06 drz400s and a 02 dr200se. I'm 5'10" 260lbs. and have had a lot of fun on the wifes dr200. So much so that we are buying a second one this weekend for one of our daughters. We ride forest servive roads and the dr200 is fine. If you can do some DYI hop ups like jetting and such, I think the :mad: bike will work. It's the kind of bike we can put anyone for a first time trail ride who has some bike experience and they always come back loving it.

I'm 5'10 and 235lbs... I ride a dr125 and don't feel it's too small for me. I did swap the front/rear for stiffer springs though. That's about the only issue I see with the 125. The engine isn't blazing fast but it does a decent job if you can keep the revs up.