Sign in to follow this  

Which bike deal would you go for??

What do you guys think of these deals?

1. 2003 Suzuki DR 650 only 600 mi $3500 with a supertrap pipe and the rest 100% stock.

2. 2000 Suzuki Dr 650 only 275 mi 3600 100 % stock.

3. 2002 KTM Factory Supermoto - RARE Red Black Paint Combo

*$1300 Akrapovic Titanium Full Exhaust System *WP Suspension, front and Rear

*Brembo Brakes with Steel Braided Brake lines

*Behr KTM Factory Supermoto Wheels with Sport bike tires:

Front: 120/70/17

Rear: 160/60/17

*Renthal Fat Bar (Black)

*12v Electrical Outlet installed

*KTM Comfort Seat, and original not so comfortable seat.

*Ventura Rack system with 2 Racks

*Lic. paid thru March 2007

*Mileage: 14490

Mileage seems high on this one.

Are these reasonable deals in the SF Bay area region?

What would be a fair price?

Both the DR and KLR are in like new shape and have no gumming in the carb. The KTM is set up for motard riding.

I am a 50+ year old 6’3’ and 225 lbs and done some dirt biking on an old XR 400 and currently ride an FJR 1300 (yes I really like it) as my main street bike.

Looking for a Adventure bike and I have boiled it down to 3 bikes:

1. Dr 650

2. KLR 650

3. KTM 640

Really like the price of the KLR and DR but will consider the KTM 640 since I won’t have to put as much money into it to improve it overall. Want to stay under 5500 and must have electric start.

My riding will require some pavement riding to get to the type of roads I like such as fire roads, some jeep roads, National Forest Roads, 2 rack roads and an occasional 1 track trail. Will do some overnight camping but mostly day rides in the South Bay area of SF.

Will trailer it to Lake Tahoe once in a while to do rides in the Sierras.

I will open up the airbox and eventually put on a new Q pipe and re-jet these bikes and add the normal guards, handle bars etc.

I am still learing about these bikes and what it takes to make them good adventure bikes and the type of add-ons I will need. Any first suggestions would be appreciated.

All comments on the type of bikes I should also look at and changes to make the bikes better is also appreciated.

RC

Is one or two suppossed to be a klr?A 640 adventure is a great bike,this one is not what I would call a off road adventure bike it is like a short range hooligan canyon and city street machine.I would love it for my second bike if I could talk him down a couple hundred.I would pick 1 for my only bike just like last year when I bought my dr.

Motorcyle bluebook

I would really wonder on the super low mileage on 1&2. 6 years and not even a tank of gas through a bike? Low mileage if often a sign it was ridden off-road only and maybe thrashed by a kid.

Full retail for a 2005 DR650 used is $3750(ouch I have one).

A DR650 is about perfect for the riding you want to do. Did a lot of day trips in TX and AZ last winter. I would say offer on #1 after giving it a good once over and checking blue book above.

Since you are in San Fran, have youchecked out the Sac area. There seems to be a ton of used dr650 and other dual sports out there. Just a thought.

Ask in a DR forum and you will get a DR answer. I have one, and am 6' & 190lbs and I really like mine. I ride a KTM 250 2strk when I want to "lighten up" The torque on a DR is a blast on graded dirt roads. I feel like a pro flat tracker. And ho yeah, I'm 50+ also. ;-)

I vote for #1. I bought my '03 about 3 months ago. Had 740 miles on it and paid $2,800. At 2500 miles had to replace the base gasket. I'm 6'5" 275 lb. Definately going to respring in near future. Getting 54 mpg. Overall I like the bike.

Number one is the the first choice, or number 2 but no way 3, way to many miles. Get the tank liner kit for it to help with any rust issues from all the great gas we now have. and do the best thing that them bike were made for... RIDING... :thumbsup:

Motorcyle bluebook

I would really wonder on the super low mileage on 1&2. 6 years and not even a tank of gas through a bike? Low mileage if often a sign it was ridden off-road only and maybe thrashed by a kid.

Full retail for a 2005 DR650 used is $3750(ouch I have one).

A DR650 is about perfect for the riding you want to do. Did a lot of day trips in TX and AZ last winter. I would say offer on #1 after giving it a good once over and checking blue book above.

dont feel bad about the blue book value.....dualsports often sell for than the BB says their worth.....back in 95 i bought an 89 yamaha xt600 for 1400 bucks...kept it two years...put it in the paper for 1300 and had so many calls i wished i asked 1600!!

maybe your area is different but here in CT it took me a long time to find a DR650 for sale used....i found mine in january....southern california might have a lot of dualsports on the used market but i think most other parts of the country you can easily ask more than book value simply cuz there just arent many at all out there...

Have really decided on DR 650 now and in the hunt for finding a good used one.

Check out this thread on a 2001 with 10000 miles as my first real find besides the ones listed above.

Thanks everyone for all the info it was very helpful.

RC