Sign in to follow this  

GC Carriers Review

So I purchased a GC Carriers dirt bike carrier through ebay for roughly $190 plus 50 to ship. This is the exact one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-carrier-Dirt-bike-rack-trailer-hauler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQihZ016QQitemZ260016919058

I had read a review on here saying it was very sturdy and holds up well. So I said what the hell, I needed one since I own a Cadillac Escalade and I didn't want to go through the hassle of a trailer.

They guarantee shipment within two weeks. I ordered mine July 7th. It just arrived today, August 9th. I called them about halfway between that and asked if they would just cancel the order. Of course they said no, and that they had shipped it already. I dealt with it and said ok.

Now that it has arrived, I wish I wouldn't have purchased it in the first place. To start with it has no assembly instructions. It is a bag with 9 bolts in 3 different sizes, and 8 lock nuts and one small pin. That was no big deal. The 4 small ones go into the bottom of the carrier and 3 go into the tall pole that goes into the carrier. No worries, easy to assemble anyways.

So I begin assembling. It only took maybe 30 minutes to put it together. However, I have one bolt left, but there are no more holes anywhere in the carrier? Maybe it's an extra.

While assembling I get a real chance to look over the carrier. On the bottom of it, where the bike sits, if you flip it over you can see the cutout for the front wheel. You can tell it was cut with a plasma cutter and is in no way precise. It is rigid and they didn't even bother to take 10 minutes to grind it flat. What's they're solution? Weld in 4 small metal pieces to box it in. The welds look like absolute shit in this place. On one small piece, a hole is welded through from a welding rod. You can actually see the shape of a welding rod in it.

The rest of the welds on the carrier seem ok. Nothing crazy, but they still don't do any finish work to it. They just weld it. Once again, they could have used a grinder to smooth it out much more.

And don't get started on the paint job. It is spray painted black...Half of the paint has been scratched off through shipment. There are runs in it and large lines where they didn't coat it evenly. If looks give any indication of strength, then I'm screwed.

Not to mention, it's VERY dirty. I had to put on Mechanix gloves to move it around.

Take it from me and spend the extra $100 and get the Add-a-Bike carrier. This has been dissapointing to say the least. Hopefully I can get it cleaned up and repaint it.

-Matt

Matt,

I am glad I read this. I too saw that carrier and was contemplating buying one. I really like the add-a-bike but I'm going to take your advice on the GC.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Matt,

I am glad I read this. I too saw that carrier and was contemplating buying one. I really like the add-a-bike but I'm going to take your advice on the GC.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I just don't want someone else to make the same $230 mistake I made. The best way would be to buy the Add-a-bike, get a welder to construct one that you know, or just pay the extra and get a trailer.

If you read their feedback, you can tell that some stuff is very fishy. Unfortunately for me, I didn't notice it. I just saw the 99% positive and bought it. Most of the negative feedback on there gets erased.

I am in Jacksonville, AL. 36265. About 10 miles from Anniston. I am originally from Ohatchee. Mainly ride at Kentuck.

Quick follow up. After leaving a NEUTRAL feedback score on his saying that the welds weren't great and that it looked unfinished, they then gave me a NEGATIVE feedback telling me to blame Fedex. They are pathetic and have no clue how to run a business. Basically, don't bother ordering from them.

I just bought and assembled the Ultimate MX Hauler. Haven't used it yet, but the quality seems top notch, and the instructions were clear and concise.