Sign in to follow this  

hard starting xl600

I bought a 83. Had to fix it and when I first got it back together It fired right up. until it got warm. when I pulled the plug I noticed it was gapped real close and was the wrong plug. A 7 somthing. bought the correct plug put it in and won't start. So I thought the coil might be bad so bought a new one and still does not help but there is weak spark. When I bought the bike the guy said the battery has to have a good charge to fire up. That doesn't sound wright to me. I thought the battery was only for the blinkers and stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong please. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all

Its possible the bike is tuned toward running with the 7 plug. Have you tried adjusting the fuel screw

Yep, the XLs will start with a dead battery. The ignition system doesn't have anything to do with the charging/battery.

I had a CDI problem with mine. It would just start running bad going down the road like a twin dropping a cylinder. I guess the advance circuit was screwy?

well I tested the exciter coil. If I tested it wright. Red\black wire and ground green wire. It is bad 375-400 ohms. Sorry for the iffy numbers neddle style meter. Coil checked out good even the old one. The pulse gen. is good also. Thanks again for the info.

just for the hell of it check your valve clearances they could be hold the valves open alittle when it's hot

I had a brand new 83 XL600 and it was a pain in the ass to start sometimes. The plug gap needs to be about .015" other wise your going to be shit out of luck.

I currently have an 83' XR500 and had to close the gap to get it run ok after everything measured within spec.

Make sure the idle isnt set too high too, and zero throttle when your kicking. That thing will kick back. Mine kicked me back on afternoon hard enough to send my knee back up into the handle bar hard enough to bend the cheapo steel bars I had on it. And thats not to mention what it did to my knee. Set the airscrew to 1 and 1/4 out and it oughta start ok. Wanna hear something really crazy that will want to make you scratch your head? One day I ran out of fuel for the bike and topped it off with premix from my jetski. Started first kick...continued to start first kick...ran smoother....idled better and ran cooler...noticably cooler. Ive asked the smartest guys Ive met about why the bike would run way way better on premix and nobody could answer it. I started carrying around a bottle of two stroke oil and mixed it everytime I filled it up. My uncle now has that bike and he still rides it everyday almost...

i just had another thought on your starting problem.i've read about quite a few of those have had problems with the stator going bad because the stator runs in engine oil and the windings are not sealed it's possible whats happening is heat and maybe carbon built up in the stator may be changing resistance in the windings when it get hot causing a weaker spark. maybe try rechecking the values of your electrical components when the engine is at temperture.i've got an 89 xr 600 that i got in pieces that supposedly had an intermittant miss as soon as i get it reassembled i guess i'll find out what's what.like isaid just anoither thought hope it helps.

Got my new stator. It's from ricky stator. I'm trying to put it in. to get the wires to route wright the exciter coil is lining up in a different location. It being sat. Nobodies open to get info from. This sucks

Got my new stator. It's from ricky stator. I'm trying to put it in. to get the wires to route wright the exciter coil is lining up in a different location. It being sat. Nobodies open to get info from. This sucks

Ive gotta think you either got the wrong part or youre inside out on the installation...where the wires route isnt the goal...get the pick up in the right spot and route from there. I know the Rickystator I got for my CR500 wasnt exactly the same at the OEM part..but it works a hell of a lot better....