Sign in to follow this  

New Owner...almost

Well I pulled the trigger on an '06 DRZ400SM and I hope to pick it up friday. I'm very psyched. This will be my first Motard or any dirt bike experience.

I'd like to ride a bunch this weekend and am wondering what people do/recommend for break in and time frame for the first oil change. I believe the dealer wants to see it back at 600 for oil and maintenance check, but Ive read a number of threads that indicate oil change earlier or other stuff.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Manny

I would change oil at 50, 100, 300 miles. Vary your throttle, don't ride at constant rpms. Don't baby it!! Enjoy your new bike. :thumbsup::ride:

Search for break in or "ride it like you stole it". :thumbsup:

You'll find more info than you can read in a week...

Congrats and good luck!

Tim

I'm going to get flamed but what the hell:

Ride 20 miles and change the oil as soon as you get back home, you will be surprised how much crap is in there from machining. Load / unload the engine for the first 20 miles to seal the rings (that does not mean beat the crap out of it)... and read the following:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Don't forget to clean the frame screen at the first oil change, and then again anytime there is major engine work done. Even once a year wouldn't hurt but is most likely unnecessary.