Sign in to follow this  

06 pin failure

i'm about to buy a brand new 06 450 from a dealer and i heard that they had piston pin failures in the early 06 models. i heard they fixed it later on tho, so i was wondering what to look for to make sure its an updated model with the new pin. also if i do get the lemon one did they do a recall or anything so i can just take it in a get it done. thanks

Pin failures are pretty rare.... unless your a real rever i wouldn't even think about it...

Actually, it is not "rare" when it comes to the 06 KX450F. Please read the stickied "KX450F FAQ" thread (at the top of every thread list). There are some links to well discussed issues regarding the wrist pin breaking. Some claim its due to a bad piston/piston strutting design, some due a faulty pin design. Regardless, it has been known to break.

stretch104,

There is no easy way to tell. There have been reports of the wrist pin snapping on bikes with the last 4 of the serial #'s as high as #9500. Some have put 50+ hours on without issue. If you get one, just stay off the rev limiter and consider a piston/pin replacement at around the 20hr mark. Wiseco seems to be the brand to go with as they beefed up the piston strutting.

i have personally seen a 06 kx450f wrist pin that shattered. the owner carries it in a ziplog bag in the console. he got lucky and shut it down before any other damage occured.

how hard would it be to just change out the pin as soon as i got the bike, should i do the piston as well?

how hard would it be to just change out the pin as soon as i got the bike, should i do the piston as well?
OEM piston failures are even more common in that bike than the pin failures. No way would I just replace the pin and leave the stock piston in.

The pin failures seem to stem from a heat-treating issue. There is a fine line between "hard" and "brittle", and it seems that some of the OEM pins crossed over that line.

If you are going to go through the trouble of tearing it down and swapping out the pin, I would recommend doing the piston as well.

I haven't had the pin fail, but after tearing the top end down for inspection I'm sure glad that I did. The pin looks like crap and I'm not to fond of the way the piston skirt looks where it meets the deck underneath. The rest of the top end looks great with about 65-70 hours. The cylinder is still in perfect shape and I will just break the glaze. After reading all about people's pin breaking and the end results it was an easy decision for me to tear it down before the pin let go and I was out of work for a few months. I wadded last summer on my KX125 and was sitting behind a desk for 5 weeks with a seperated right collar bone. I will not be put back behind a desk again. I will be ordering the weisco kit and gaskets this week and get her running again. Here are some pic's.

fpmxer

I hope this worked if not someone let me know how to get them in here. Also if anyone else has not checked the top end yet and has about the same hours, I would recomend it.

I just looked at them from the putfile link. You have to give it a sec or two for the pic's to load. I know some of them are blurry but the point gets across.

I just looked at them from the putfile link. You have to give it a sec or two for the pic's to load. I know some of them are blurry but the point gets across.

Hmmm.... nope, that's not it. The image links are definitely broken and are not rendering. The links I quoted above don't point to a file and when I click on them, I'm asked to log in. Try getting the direct link(s) to the images and all should be good.

That works also, just started using putfile and will get it some day. Thanks dude. :thumbsup:

That works also, just started using putfile and will get it some day. Thanks dude. :thumbsup:

No problem mang!!! Glad I could help!!! :ride:

i'm about to buy a brand new 06 450 from a dealer and i heard that they had piston pin failures in the early 06 models. i heard they fixed it later on tho, so i was wondering what to look for to make sure its an updated model with the new pin. also if i do get the lemon one did they do a recall or anything so i can just take it in a get it done. thanks

yes they do, i build motors for acoupple of pro guys here in az that are on the 06 kxf 450 and i see the rod end getting galled very quickly and the stock piston getting hammered out of shape very fast ----the pressed on cam gears slip and some trans problems :thumbsup:

what i have done is to take the crank out and press it apart and really make sure the rod is straight ----you would be surprised how some of these in all the bikes can be alittle cocked one way or the other , and then i will bore the small end out and install a bronze bushing and fit it alittle on the tight side and enlarge the oil holes to it .-----i do this on the little 06 yamaha yzf 250 also ---it wants to gall the rt side of the rod also :ride:

and i am using the wiseco 13.1 piston and pin,----and i lighten the wiseco ( make sure the fit is good ----they have been running loose --and heavy--i have had to send some back and get them tighter ---always been a wiseco problem :applause: )and re balance the crank to match it and then just keep an eye on the top end --- every 10 hrs is when i freshen these up and before i bushed them the rt side of the rod would be galled and starting to wear ,

with a straight rod and a bushing they seem to be doing fine ,

i have one that has 30 hrs on it with three disassembles on it and it looks great so far ,------but yes these need attention :applause:

ok so if i happen to have a lemon and the pin or piston goes, will i beable to notice something weird and have time to shut it down before it hits the fan? will i be riding a time bomb?

also the 06 i'm looking at is brand new from a dealer for 5499, so what do you think, is it worth it or should i spend 2k more for an 07 :thumbsup:

ok so if i happen to have a lemon and the pin or piston goes, will i beable to notice something weird and have time to shut it down before it hits the fan? will i be riding a time bomb?

also the 06 i'm looking at is brand new from a dealer for 5499, so what do you think, is it worth it or should i spend 2k more for an 07 :ride:

oh good lord yes get the 07 ---its got so many changes to alleviate some of these nagging problems :thumbsup:

and generally if your pin comes apart it will just grenade and you wont do anything but cry while you are gathering the 2 k in part numbers and waiting 3 months for all the parts and time to go all through you new bike :applause:

I just ordered my weisco piston kit today for $145.00 and will get it wed. next week. Then she'll be roosting dirt again. :thumbsup:

oh good lord yes get the 07 ---its got so many changes to alleviate some of these nagging problems :thumbsup:

and generally if your pin comes apart it will just grenade and you wont do anything but cry while you are gathering the 2 k in part numbers and waiting 3 months for all the parts and time to go all through you new bike :ride:

I don't know. There aren't THAT many changes. The "nagging problems" you refer to are a list of one as far as I'm concerned. The piston/wrist pin. For the $5499 he can buy an 06 for, he can EASILY afford to go get a piston kit and install it right off the bat before its ever kicked over and STILL spend less money then he would by buying an 07. Plus, Kawi has been really good about getting these bikes taken care of on THEIR dime.

stretch104,

I don't think you can go wrong with either. It depends on what your priorities are. The 06 is a damned good bike and I'm sure the 07 will be a damned good bike too. Pick the number of gears you want to work with at the price you are willing to spend and that will tell you which one to get.