Sign in to follow this  

best tyres for a street-tard?

Hi guys an gals,

anyone have any ideas as to some good tyres for my street-tard? Currently have Maxxis Goldspeeds on her but they're a little too soft and wear rapidly. Was thinking about some Bridgestones but as to what type i'm not sure? There's a nice pair of BT57's on ebay going for a nice price but i reckon these are more for big sports bikes rather than Supermoto. I do like the Goldspeeds as they're very grippy in all conditions but they don't have much longevity in them, i guess i can't have sticky tyres with bags of grip and a long life aswell, or can i? what do you street-tarders recommend i should fit on this baby:- http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/Stranglersfan/AngryWasp.jpg

I would've searched for some advice but the search function is down due to traffic.... :thumbsup:

Dude - that is one nice ride. I have an 00' YZ426 that I was considering converting - but I took the easy way out - I converted an 02' LC4 640.

Anyway - I'm currently using Continental ContiForce SMs. Lot's of grip - but I don't see them lasting very long at all. I've got 600 miles on them and they look like shit. I've got 2 other sport bikes with Pirelli Dragons on both - I've ridden them hard and they're holding up fine - I'll probably try them on the KTM next.

at least when the dragon's look like shhhit they still grip....plus one on the dragon's...when yhey go south at least whren they get old they let you know, gradually.. :thumbsup:

I'm liking my pilot power race mediums right now. They're not DOT legal in the US though.

I'm liking my pilot power race mediums right now. They're not DOT legal in the US though.
Power Race tires are DOT. At least mine say so. :ride::thumbsup:

I am running Power Race medium rear / soft front and they work.... awesome... But I don't think they last as long as my Goldspeeds did. Much better tire though and you pay for it.

I have the same question. I have worn flat my Pilot power (not race) rear and I know I do not want the Distanzias. I do not go off pavement. Street (no race) and those Pilot powers are great for cornering but the dreaded chicken strip is unavoidable. I like to ride Deals Gap and do not want to have to change a tire just to do so. I thought I saw once (am I smokin crack?) a tire offered somewhere that had a duel compound, harder center with soft sides that could fit my rim 4.25x17??? Anybody???

Second question: I currently have a Pilot Power 160/60 17 on the rim above which I had to trim the edge off to keep it from rubbing chain (yes, the hub has been offset).

Will a 150/60 fit my 4.25 rim correctly?

The Bridgeston BT 010 and 020 had the dual compound. Not sure if they kept that up or not on later models.

Pirelli has a track day tire that is triple compound along the same lines of having a harder center. In this case it's relative since it is intended as a track day tire so it's likely soft, softer and softest instead of being graded for lifespan.

Pirelli Diablo seems nice. I flogged my Husky on a set at our very abrasive local track nights for a summer and a half. No issues and stuck almost as well as race rubber. They still have some life in them too.

Grip and lifespan don't really go hand in hand. In you go for one the other is compromised. As for choice I would suggest that it's better to pay for tires a little more often than body plastics and personal ride gear and perhaps medical fees.......

Pilot Powers on both bikes - sticking with them...

I'm really liking the MT90 Scorpion rear I've got now(see it in my garage pic). Had a Sportec M1 before that lasted 1500mi. MT60 before that went in 2000 or so mi.s. My MT90 has over 2500 mi.s on it so far and doesn't even look 50% worn and I don't notice any less grip over the others. Also I'm running higher psi's too, around 32. The tread blocks are wearing evenly too; not getting that ramp effect, where the leading edge wears away faster.

Power Race tires are DOT. At least mine say so. :ride::thumbsup:

I am running Power Race medium rear / soft front and they work.... awesome... But I don't think they last as long as my Goldspeeds did. Much better tire though and you pay for it.

Thanks Nate for the correction. I had a look this past weekend and sure enough the DOT stamp is there. I don't know where I came up with the idea they weren't street legal. :applause:

Well i eventually settled for a set of the Bridgestone Battlax BT090's 160/60/17 and 120/70/17 after reading some pretty good reviews, and as they supposed to be developed specifically for "aggressively ridden" 250-450's, especially Supermotos. I thought, i've gotta get me some of them! but i am totally gutted as the rear is way too wide and it's acting as a brake on the chain coz it's rubbing like hell, not just a little bit either, a lot! so much infact, that if you look down the line of the chain from the rear sprocket to the front, you can see the tyre is pushing the chain a lot! I've been fiddling all day trying to get this damn wheel to fit without rubbing, but no chance of fitting it central and straight....

I am well F##kin pissed off, i am supposed to be going on holiday with the bike tomorrow but i can't now coz of this damn tyre issue.... i hope i don't have to resort to re-fitting my half bald Goldspeed that was on it just so i can ride the thing? These BT090's weren't cheap either, with delivery they were almost £180!!!!!! :ride:

anyone have any ideas or suggestions? the rear wheel incidently is a 4.25 excel with a talon hub fitted with a 38 tooth talon sprocket. the chain is an Iris Gold H/D O-Ring.

are all chains the same width or is there a narrower type? sounds a stupid question but i can't see any other alternative other than a skinny chain or scrap the 160 and get a 150 instead? :thumbsup:

How do i do that? never played with the spokes before? is it easy?

cheers for the quick reply, as i'm tearing my hair out trying to get some info on this problem as i mentioned before, i'm supposed to be going on holiday tomorrow..

OK down and dirty (HOW TO)

Take a piece of tape and rap one spoke. This is for a marker.

Now the spokes that go to the side of the chain lossen every one one full tern.

Then the spokes on the other side tighten one full tern each.

This will step the rim over away from the chain.

Repeat this till the chain clears.

brilliant! thanks for that... just how much clearance (offset) can i expect to get following this method, coz from my estimation i reckon i need around 1/2 an inch so i have enough clearance from the chain? can i do this with the tyre still on and the wheel on the bike for ease of turning/trueing etc, and do i just slacken all the chain-side spokes one after the other or in a criss-cross pattern, and the same for tightening the other side?

also, having an offset wheel, does it lose it's balance or will i have to have the tyre re-balanced?

sorry for all the questions but i've never fiddled with spokes before and am a bit worried incase i cock it up..

cheers :thumbsup: