Sign in to follow this  

CR125 or CR250 for trail work?

Hey, I'm looking at getting a new 2-stroke, mostly for off-road and trail work. Anyone set up a CR125 or CR250 for non-motocross riding? I'd like the lightest bike than can haul me around (6', 210 pounds); is the 125 too weak in the power department?

Thanx, Lance :thumbsup:

yeah a 125 is.

Ok, i started riding about 4 years ago. I got a 2000 cr125. i had never sat on a bike prior to that. i learned on it and all, and it was a smashin bike, had balls of steel, but it eventyly came to a point where it wasnt enough. Well, im 6'6 230. I have since jumped up to a 2002 cr250. I ONLY ride trails, hillclimbs, and singletrackin. The was i have it set up, which is not many thing, basically stock, is great. If you would like i can tell you what i had on my 125 and what i have on my 250, depeding on what bike you go for. But i would say go for a 250!

hey,

i have also been looking into a 2-smoke 125. i am 6'1" and 140 pounds (im 15). do you think a 125 with haul me around no problem? if so i was thinking about getting a brand new one but i cant decide weither i want a yz or cr 125? people say that if your gunna buy a brand new 06 or 07 125 get the yz cause it has a stronger motor and better suspension than the newer cr 125's...so...what do you guys think?

hey,

i have also been looking into a 2-smoke 125. i am 6'1" and 140 pounds (im 15). do you think a 125 with haul me around no problem? if so i was thinking about getting a brand new one but i cant decide weither i want a yz or cr 125? people say that if your gunna buy a brand new 06 or 07 125 get the yz cause it has a stronger motor and better suspension than the newer cr 125's...so...what do you guys think?

Yeah, there's no reason a 125 won't haul you around just fine, you're only 140 pounds. I suggest the YZ, I've heard good things about the new CRs but my recommendation wouls be to go with Yamaha. They've been known to make the strongest 125s for awhile now.

That CR 250 Will have you singing," Thank God I'm a Country Boy"," The Devil went down to Georgia", & " Eastbound & Down"! You'll love it any where there is dirt!!

:thumbsup:

I agree with you that the 125 is underpowered. You have spoken wisely :ride: ...

people say that if your gunna buy a brand new 06 or 07 125 get the yz cause it has a stronger motor and better suspension than the newer cr 125's...so...what do you guys think?
If you're buying new, the YZ is a great choice. I agree that the YZ has the better engine and the 6-speed is really nice, but I'd call the suspension a toss-up.

Tennisman, I've got an 02 CR250 and it's the sweetest handling bike I've owned (and I've owned a lot of 'em). Motor-wise, it's stock except for PC pipe and s.a.

It's so light I practically yank it around sudden trail obstacles... I'm around 5' 11" and 200#. It's pretty bulletproof too. My .02.

Hey

I'm 15, 5'10", 138lbs. I have a CRF230F and a CR125 I have to say the CR125 I have now is killer I got it 2 months ago because the 230 wasn't enough it sound like it's your story too. The 125 is no push over it's badass my friend has a CR250 and I race him on the track and beat him and my other friend who all have KX250 besides the one with the CR250 I can beat them on the wholeshots, jumps, and turns so the 250 isn't that much above the 125 it is great better suspension you will notice right away as soon as you sit on it especially compared to the 230 powerbands you will notice especially when you're dragging your ass after you hit powerbands they are extremely powerful great for trails I've noticed and I race it so there is a win win situation I got mine for $1500 and it was ready to go and it is all aftermarket and last but not least the weight difference between the 230 and the 125 which is about 32lbs. which feels light as a feather compared to the 230 and you will just love it all around you will not be getting a slow bike if you buy a 125 I can tell you now you will love one. :thumbsup:

I was speaking to awesomodrumboy in that last post

It's " Holeshot" not "Wholeshot" and your 250 buddies must not know how to twist the throttle on their bikes.Just the facts..

It's " Holeshot" not "Wholeshot" and your 250 buddies must not know how to twist the throttle on their bikes.Just the facts..
Exactly what I was thinking, a 250 2-stroke is gonna smoke anything 125. And as far as the 230F goes, that's a 4 stroke so the 125 is gonna be about the same, just a tad quicker :thumbsup:

thanxs for the info 1996cr125. and yes that is exaclty my case...lol.

i saw a 1998 cr125 with a crap load of mods on it and all black plastics for $1500!

its about 45 minutes away from me to so i think im gunna check it out :thumbsup:

Exactly what I was thinking, a 250 2-stroke is gonna smoke anything 125. And as far as the 230F goes, that's a 4 stroke so the 125 is gonna be about the same, just a tad quicker :ride:

and no way dude...a stock 230 has around 19 hp...a stock 2-smoke 125 is around 35 (give or take)

so no their are not the same....and not to mention that a cr125 is almost 40 pounds lighter than a 230!..so yea..sorry but your wrong......no hard feelings..just settin things straight

and no way dude...a stock 230 has around 19 hp...a stock 2-smoke 125 is around 35 (give or take)

so no their are not the same....and not to mention that a cr125 is almost 40 pounds lighter than a 230!..so yea..sorry but your wrong......no hard feelings..just settin things straight

My point was defending the 2 stroke, I know it has GOBS more power than the 4 stroke 230. I was just going easy :thumbsup: