Sign in to follow this  

are 2 strokes suposed to idle?

ive always set my bikes to idle even my 2 strokes. but it seems every one i meet sais 2 strokes arent suposed to idle.and every used bike i buy from a dealer is set with no idle aswell. are smokers suposed to idle?

Supposedly they run better when you set them to not idle but I couldnt tell I noticeable differance. Its not like its a big deal to start it so I would always let my smoker die everytime I stopped for any extended period.

All of mine do; although my GasGas 300 doesn't really like to. (I have the idle adjustment screw in tight on it.)

Yes there supposed to idle....

There wouldnt be idle adjustment if they wouldnt.

Maybe there is something out there where MotoX/SX/FMX riders bikes dont idle due to some kinda wierd ass reason. But all of us should have idling 2 strokes.

All the idle adjustment does is not allow the slide to fully sit against the bottom of the carb. Therefore holding the throttle open a little.

so i could adjust my rm125 to idle with no bad effects, i ride it on trails and an idle is a real good thang when u stop to thank.

Supposedly they run better when you set them to not idle but I couldnt tell I noticeable differance. .

To be honest my yz125 would run way better when the idle was set super low..when the idle was higher it ran like teh choke ws on...crazy but its it was true..

even most pro racers have little to no idle, i constantly see there bikes stall if they dont blip the throttle every few seconds

But i do believe all bikes should idle reguardless

Yeah, they can idle.

I guess a "properly" tuned pro race bike woulnd't idle, as then, when the throttle was whacked, it would explode with power.

As was stated, supposedly a 2 stroke that idles doesn't have quite the snap of a bike that is set to not idle.

sorry yota, but that is not the case, my riding bud has a NEW CR125 and it doesnt idle either. and it runs like a top. BTW he does alot of the FMX stuff.....says it hits harder

Since I trail ride I like my bikes to idle. My friend's CR 80 doesn't idle because he always has it up high anyways so he figures he doesn't need it to idle.

Racr bikes arent suposed to idle, but you can make any bike idle. My H/S rm 85 doesnt Idle, but my RM 125 idles, I made it idle. And ofcourse my DRZ idles...

Keihin seems to imply that 2-strokes with a PWK are supposed to idle; hence, the idle adjust screw.

when i had my yz85 i had it at the lowest it would go without stalling...it would idle but very low so it still hit hard but i could keep it running

sorry yota, but that is not the case, my riding bud has a NEW CR125 and it doesnt idle either. and it runs like a top.
Hey, a worn 2 stroke will still pull hard on the pipe. I suspect your buddies, if its not worn out, has a leak elsewhere, ie crank seals, intake boot or just too lean. Does his bike have an "idle screw" on it

:thumbsup: Every 2 stroke I owned and prior idled.

I dont know......brand new it wouldnt idle, and i couldnt find a screw, so if you are right its too lean.????