Sign in to follow this  

'95 gas gas and new to trials

I've been thinking about getting into trials riding for a couple of years. I put the desire on the back burner, but I went to an event last sat. My younger brother has a '95 250 that he bought new and has ridden very little. I had talked to him about it a couple of years ago, but he didn't want to sell. Well I called him today to talk to him about maybe borrowing it. He said that he thought he was going to go ahead and sell it. So I asked how much he wantedfor it. He say's $2,500. Well I didn't quite faint but I thought the price a little unreasonable. He says the bike is like new and worth it. So I say I might come get it this weekend if he can take half down and the rest on an easy credit plan. After I talked to him I call a couple of dealers here in Texas to ask if it would be a good learner bike, if parts were available, and how much it was worth. Well, they tell me that $2500 is way out of line and that $1500 would be a very generous amount for it. Now I have to call my brother and discuss the bike again. I really do not want to offend him over it by calling the whole thing off or by telling him that I was told that it was worth $1000 - $1200 but I would give him $1500 since he's my brother. I love my brother but I don't want to feel obligated to pay $2500 for a bike that is only worth half. What do ya'll think?

I agree... too much for a 95 Gas Gas. Beware that the 95 Gas Gas had a factory recall. This was the year that they tried to run coolant water down to the center cases in the clutch area. They quickly came out with a kit to block that but many people didn't find out about the problem if they didn't hang around active Trials People.

My buddy had a 95. He didn't ride very often similar to your brother. Two years later on a ride together after the bike sat for a year, it started boiling over and spitting out something that looked like cottage cheese. Turns out the water going to the magnesium case connected dissimilar metals and basically created a battery. The magnesium was corroding severely. You had better check to see if that fix was done. If not, after 11 years I would not get near that bike. Sorry. . :thumbsup:

Yes $2500 is WAY to much, I bought my first bike 97 JTX270 for $1300 in good condition.

I hate mixing friends/family with business as it often leads to sticky situations. You say the bike is hardly ridden which is probably why he thinks it's worth so much. But he also needs to realize that its an 11 year old "dirtbike" and for $2500 you can buy a much newer machine. You could always direct him to this thread to see other peoples opinions or ask him to ask the dealer what he should expect to get or how much they would offer for it. You could even offer him a set amount over what ever the dealer is willing to give him if it would make you feel better.

I'm currently considering a '96 JTR270. Haven't seen the bike other than in pictures but it is described by the owner as excellent and as having been in storage for 6 years. He says it starts and runs perfectly and it looks to be in good to very good condition judging from the pics. It also has a brand new Michelin rear, very recent new shock and linkage bearings. The only problem that I'm aware of is the fan isn't working and the owners dog used the tank as a chew toy, putting tooth sized holes in it. So, I'm looking at a new tank and fan motor (I guess it's the motor as he already replaced the thermo-switch, but who knows), but he's only asking $800.

Junkman,

Do you know what the differences between your bike and the '96 might be? How would you rate it as a beginner/play bike?

2PLY,

Do you know if the recall issue was corrected from the factory on the '96 270, or is this still an issue?

2PLY,

Do you know if the recall issue was corrected from the factory on the '96 270, or is this still an issue?

Yes, it was corrected in the middle of 95 or at least within a few months as soon as the first bikes started coughing up cottage cheese. Gas Gas was much smaller then and changes or improvements were common and immediate.

The main problem was that neither my friend nor I had heard about the problem until we experienced it and called about it. Never got a notice from the dealer nor Gas Gas USA..

Well, I called and told him I wouldn't be comeing to pick it up and all that I've learned about it. Thanks for the replys.