Sign in to follow this  

Stripped bolt HOLE(???)

I was doing my cam chain adjustment and as I was bolting the cover back on I noticed that one of the bolts wouldn't snug down. I pulled the bolt out & checked to see if it was stripped. The bolt looked fine except for the little strips of metal lodged in the bolt's threads. It obviously came from the hole into which the bolt threads. What the heck happened there? Is there a little insert or something that goes in the hole that came out maybe? Anyone else ever have this happen? Kind weird

Its a poor design. Search about stripped bolt and you will find some quick solutions.

There aluminum threads like most everywhere else on all bikes. There pretty easy to cross thread and strip. It's an easy fix though. Just put in a Heli-coil w/red Lock-Tight. Take your bolt to your nearest (good) auto parts store and have them get you the right set up.

i assume u are talking about the journal cover, that the rocker cover bolts on to. Yes they strip really easily. Simple fix though. Take the journal cover off ( this is the piece where the bolt threads into...it has (4) 8mm posts). Tap it out to the next bolt size. Make sure you do that off the bike so that no metal shavings fall in to the engine. Make sure you do both bolts, the new grab pattern of the bigger bolt (the one you just tapped) will lift the opposite side of the rocker cover enough to leak oil. Even though there is no compression in there, it will make an absolute mess. So do yourself a favor and do both while your in there. This is super easy. And btw the holes in the rocker cover is easily big enough to accomadate a bigger bolt. Good luck

I did the same thing. Atleast I don't feel like I was the only one. The worst thing is you can't just buy the top half of the cam. They are a matched set. You have to buy the whole cylinder head. So be careful when you fix it. I would go with a helicoil so you can keep the same bolts and not turn into a hack job. And by no means fix this on the bike because you will risk getting the metal in the motor or dropping something in there. If you know a machinist, I would get his help to get a really clean job.