Sign in to follow this  

Holy S#%*! What a ride!

I took my new 05 CRF450X out for its first ride tonight.... holy :thumbsup: what an awesome bike! :ride: Definitely an improvement over my old 99 WR400F. I thoroughly enjoyed every foot of the first 20 miles and look forward to many more great experiences. It performed well out in the open, in the tight stuff, on fast and slow climbs and over the bumps. I noticed that the throttle response was a little sluggish at times, but it still had great power... more than I will ever need. I assume that once I make the JD jetting mod and the air box mod that the throttle response issue will go away and I'll like it even more. May also need to tweak the suspension a bit as it seemed a little stiff at times. Anyway, thanks to all for the great posts and threads that helped me decide on this bike and for the tips on maintenance, mods, tranny oil amount, etc. Look forward to being a part of TT!

The JD jet kit makes all the difference! Throw on a White bros E-2 and complete the package. I have no complaints about mine except that I don't get to ride it enough. Enjoy!

The suspension is still breaking in.....

Agree. I've only done about 120miles on mine so far (should double that this weekend - doing the local Yamaha Offroad Rally) and suspenders just keep improving with every bump. Will probably adjust for static / race sag after this weekend.

put a port and polish and a high compression piston on it and it will melt the clutch basket

Also think of changing the fork oil and shock as well. I noticed a huge improvement in the forks and the rear is just smoother throughout the stroke. Now it rides and handles much better.

Paul

The JD jet kit makes all the difference! Throw on a White bros E-2 and complete the package. I have no complaints about mine except that I don't get to ride it enough. Enjoy!

Ditto........

I can't WAIT to hear your comments after the JD Kit :applause: !!!! You will :thumbsup: your britches the first time you twist that throttle.....I did :ride:

how much of a difference did you notice as far as weight and handling goes?

I have a YZ400 and I might be upgrading to soemthing lighter in the future...

I took my new 05 CRF450X out for its first ride tonight.... holy :thumbsup: what an awesome bike! :ride: Definitely an improvement over my old 99 WR400F. I thoroughly enjoyed every foot of the first 20 miles and look forward to many more great experiences. It performed well out in the open, in the tight stuff, on fast and slow climbs and over the bumps. I noticed that the throttle response was a little sluggish at times, but it still had great power... more than I will ever need. I assume that once I make the JD jetting mod and the air box mod that the throttle response issue will go away and I'll like it even more. May also need to tweak the suspension a bit as it seemed a little stiff at times. Anyway, thanks to all for the great posts and threads that helped me decide on this bike and for the tips on maintenance, mods, tranny oil amount, etc. Look forward to being a part of TT!

Yea buddy. I've had mine since February. Got 1400 miles on it. Totally trouble free. Change the oil in the crankcase often. Make sure and run a full quart in the tranny and change it often too. You will enjoy many miles of total fun.

Yea buddy. I've had mine since February. Got 1400 miles on it. Totally trouble free. Change the oil in the crankcase often. Make sure and run a full quart in the tranny and change it often too. You will enjoy many miles of total fun.

24 hours and 25 minutes. You guys are getting very slow on this. I remember the good ole days when people would tell someone new to run a full quart within minutes of their post.

Redroo, what are you talking reeds for. This is 4-stroke country

24 hours and 25 minutes. You guys are getting very slow on this. I remember the good ole days when people would tell someone new to run a full quart within minutes of their post.

Redroo, what are you talking reeds for. This is 4-stroke country

:thumbsup: It was to compliment the port & polish you recommended (might have been a misinterpretation on my part - perhaps you P&P 4-strokes over there - but here in Oz we only port & polish 2-strokers). I thought you might have been havin a laugh. Maybe you were talking about porting / matching the carby / head intake ??? My mistake i'm sure. :ride:

24 hours and 25 minutes. You guys are getting very slow on this. I remember the good ole days when people would tell someone new to run a full quart

What is a full quart anyway? :thumbsup: I think by "quart" y'all mean quarter of a gallon? This would equal about 1 litre (0.95 to be exact) in metric terms, yes? :ride:

Ditto........

I can't WAIT to hear your comments after the JD Kit :applause: !!!! You will :thumbsup: your britches the first time you twist that throttle.....I did :ride:

EXACTLY, it is amazing how much difference the JD kit and a FMF powerbomb header made on my 450X, it from great to "mind blowing awesome" :applause:

Congrats, enjoy the bike, you picked a good one. :applause:

:thumbsup: It was to compliment the port & polish you recommended (might have been a misinterpretation on my part - perhaps you P&P 4-strokes over there - but here in Oz we only port & polish 2-strokers). I thought you might have been havin a laugh. Maybe you were talking about porting / matching the carby / head intake ??? My mistake i'm sure. :ride:

nope we port it all over here there is about as much performance/personality changes from porting 4 strokes as 2

Bryce