Sign in to follow this  

Taller riders on 05 YZ, what did you do?

I ride an 05 YZ250. I love it. Can't say enought about that.

One problem I have is that it feels like the bike is a little too cramped for me ergonomically. I'm 6'1", and I feel like I'm leaning over too far to hold onto the bike. For short rides, no problem but longer rides my back gets sore, especially the lower back. This is my first bike so I'm considering a few things:

New handlebars?

New upper triple clamp?

Adding a steering dampener (I hear it raises the bars a little)?

Let me know what you have done to customize the fit and feel. Please include brand names. Also let me know if there is something you have tried that didn't work. I'm new to this, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks guys.

At 6'3" I have had to set up quite few YZ's (& a couple of CRF's) for my height. IMHO, the best mods are: 10mm taller and 5mm forward bar clamps (Applied/TAG etc) w./taller Pro Taper bars, GUTS Racing tall medium density seat foam & lowered footpegs. For the footpegs - you can lower the stockers (do a search as it is fairly easy) or go w/Fastways/IMS offering.

Im not tall by any means but like a upright riding postition.. I tried the pro taper contour in the ATV mid bend with there rubber mounted tripple clamp.. it worked wonders for me. you dont have to get a steering dampner to get talller setup

Purchase a 06 YZ250 seat foam (be sure its a stocker because aftermarket ones just sell you a 05 foam for the 06's) The 06 seat foam is 10mm taller.

Buy some clamps to move the bars further up, and also install taller bars. That should fix your problems

the pro taper clamps are great because they are fully adjustable. definatly worth the $200

6'1" here. Went with an SDG tall seat and Pro Taper "Windham" bend with Applied T clamps (the Applied are slightly taller than the stockers).

I would suggest a taller seat, harder suspension to keep the bike sit higher, and handle bar risers, maybe new triple clamps with adjusters.