Sign in to follow this  

xr 400 gear question

I am wondering what the best set up is as far as gearing goes. I would like to be able to ride at 60 on the road without having the throttle so high. I still want to have a decent 1st gear and 2nd gear for the woods. Does anyone know if any combos will do that? Also, where should I get them. Thanks.

Squidrow,

When I got my XR400, I didn't like the gearing. First gear was too low and almost useless unless you were climbing hills. I went 1-tooth up on the countershaft sprocket to a 16 and left the rear at 45. I really like it for the road because it doesn't rev so high. My bike is re-jetted with White Brothers pipe and it pulls pretty hard. It almost pulls like my 650R did. I also weigh 160 lbs, so I think there is plenty of power for my size. I do sacrifice a little on really steep hills, so I have to slip the clutch sometimes. On slow decents it can be a problem too because at an idle, the bike sometimes moves faster than I want it to go. If I could, I would take 1-tooth out of the rear.

THank you, I am considering a 16 in front. When you are in the tight woods, is there too much forward speed at idle so that you are clutching the whole time.

If you put a 16T up front, you have to grind down the case saver for it to fit. I suggest a 16/46 setup. best of both worlds. 16/45(2.81 ratio) i did not like in the woods, power was not there when you needed it. 15/45(3.00 ratio) good in the woods, except on some hills, but too slow for me on the road. try the 16/46(2.88 ratio) or a 16/47(2.94 ratio) they are both tweeners.

When you are in the tight woods, is there too much forward speed at idle so that you are clutching the whole time.

We don't have a lot of woods riding where I go, but in the few tight areas I have ridden, I did have to use the clutch alot. We have a lot of wide open desert here, so the taller gearing is better for that. Wingman's suggestion to use a 16/46 would probably be the ticket.

TroyB is right. 16/45 will cruise out in a more relaxed manner, and still get you through the trees OK, with a little clutch slip. It's hard to go far wrong with XR gearing, because of the broad powerband and heavy flywheel.