Sign in to follow this  

expensive Knee pads = More protection?

I was reading a thread about the downsides of using knee braces.

I wear a cheap Fox knee pad.

My knees hurt like hell from trying to learn how to ride in the SX track in my lates 20`s :thumbsup:

I have had several nasty falls and crashes while offroad and trail riding and eventough they were at faster speeds, or on rocky terrain the results have been much worse at the track.

Is there any kneepad that would protect my knees better from SX hard hits than a fox raptor or Thor`s force?

I am thinking of more of a cushion like, fluffly feeling knee pad. (Sighs)

an upper end evs maybe??? they always make slightly better protective stuff than the other guys IMO. besides cost, wat are the downsides of wearing knee braces? i didnt think it could outweigh the good cuz I thought almost all or all of the guys u see on TV are wearing them. ACL costs 6 months of riding, i dunno whats worse. I have heard of a really strong knee brace braking a femur but I still don't know if thats as bad or nearly as likely.

Well braces arent recomended because they promote femur fractures which are very dangerous.

Also a doc here in TT said that it aint proved that they help reduce in an efficient matter knee damages.

Well braces arent recomended because they promote femur fractures which are very dangerous.

Also a doc here in TT said that it aint proved that they help reduce in an efficient matter knee damages.

Yeah.. my freind just tore his ACL and Maniscis? while wearing EVS knee braces about 2 months ago. He just put his foot out to stop the front washing out, in a turn over a small hump, and pop she went.

The only thing they seem to help avoid is straight, knee impact hyper-extensions unless you can get em tight enough to stop your knee from twisting, but that's just about impossible.

I use cheap 661s, cuz they wrap around a litte more than most of the others and since I crack one every couple months I'd hate to spend more than $20.

Yeah.. my freind just tore his ACL and Maniscis? while wearing EVS knee braces about 2 months ago. He just put his foot out to stop the front washing out, in a turn over a small hump, and pop she went.

Which EVS braces was he wearing?

Wow. I sure would like to know more about this subject; it's an important one.

I was just getting ready to drop $550 on a set of Astricks.

If doctors prescribe them to protect after a knee injury, I can't imagine why they wouldn't help prevent an injury in the first place.

Can someone please post any links to other threads they know about on this subject?

Can someone please post any links to other threads they know about on this subject?

Link is just one of many. Check the health & fitness forum.

Wow. I sure would like to know more about this subject; it's an important one.

I was just getting ready to drop $550 on a set of Astricks.

If doctors prescribe them to protect after a knee injury, I can't imagine why they wouldn't help prevent an injury in the first place.

I wear the astricks, they are great braces. There was a review in one of the mags last month on braces. A doctor went over all of them and said that basiclly the Astrick, EVS Web and CTI are the only ones that actually brace the knee. All the others are just glorified knee pads. And they have to be worn properly, not to loose, not too tight. The new Astrick has a setup to link it to your boots to farther stop twisting of the knee.

if you acualy want some thing that is going to protect your knee from injuries go with asterisk CTi or EVS like said b4. they will hold your knee in place and help avoid injuries. all the others are just impack protection.

I am just looking for more impact protection that the one Fox Raptors provide.

I want a more PADDED or CUSHIONED knee pad.

My knees are constantly swollen because of their already bad condition.

Something as EVS Pastranas, SC05, or Barthram.

Do they offer more IMPACT protection than regular shelled pads?

I am just looking for more impact protection that the one Fox Raptors provide.

I want a more PADDED or CUSHIONED knee pad.

My knees are constantly swollen because of their already bad condition.

Something as EVS Pastranas, SC05, or Barthram.

Do they offer more IMPACT protection than regular shelled pads?

At my age, I faced the same issue you speak of. The Fox ventilators slid over sideways on a couple of crashes, and left me with bruises, scrapes, etc..so I found a pair of EVS visions on Ebay for a great price, and haven't worn anything else since. I wasn't really looking for a ton of support, just a larger area of coverage for the inevitable crash. The confidence factor was a bonus as well. Very happy with my choice.

Nick

I got a doctor's prescription to get a set of custom Bledsoe braces. I love the fit and knee cup on them. the best part is the were 100% FREE!!!!!

Which EVS braces was he wearing?

Not sure which model...... But, since he wears them to protect a previous knee injury, I imagine they're the good ones.

here is my 2 cents on the whole knee brace issue:

The entire "knee braces break femurs" legend can be mainly attributed to the CTi2's of the 80's and 90's. CTi is a medial company...that brace was simply their solution to a moto brace. The problem is that the composite frame is SO stiff that it doesn't flex at all when you take a hard hit. Instead, it transfers that energy up into your femur, causing a knee injury. I did alot of research when I tore my MCL, and ultimately ended up with the EVS Web. Even though it is still a rigid framed brace, the carbon fiber is FAR better becuase it has some give to it - the properties of carbon fiber allow it to flex. It also allows the hinge to pull out of the carbon if you take a really hard hit which can be replaced by the EVS factory. This helps the brace absorb more impact energy, similar to a crumple zone on a car. EVS also makes some soft sided braces, like the RS-7 that allow the energy of a hard hit to be dispered throughout the brace, even further reducing the risk of a femur break. The problem with the asterisk and CTi's aren't that they are a bad knee brace - they are just a bad knee brace for motocross.

More expensive doesnt always mean better protection. I know of a few pro snocross racers who spent $1500+ on kneebraces that did NOTHING to protect them when they crashed.

agreed. Even in reading the review in Dirtrider, custom molded CTi2's that are over 1600 retail did nothing more than $350 EVS webs.