Sign in to follow this  

bike not starting

i just got done totaly rebuilding my motor, and I put ever thing together, toped all the oils off and gas and went to start it and it would not start! nothing is binding and everything turns over smoothly! I had a problem with the bike prior to rebuilding it and I thought it was out of time and low on compresson so i rebuild the engine and it will not run, and suggestions!

re-check your timing-- are you sure you got everything in the right way?

Check for timing, make sure you got all of you electrical in there right and check for spark.

when you install the cam shaft i no there are the 2 timing marks but which way should the lobes be facing? does it matter? also i did have spark, but im not sure if it is fire at the right time or not enough. could it also be fuel related?

the lobes need to face the airbox. make sure the dot and the arrow are lined up on the clutch side also.

i checked the timing a bunch of different times, and it doesn't seem to be the problem. i really don't want to bring this thing into the shop, but i can't find the problem. The bike doesn't even seem to be trying to start i just sit there and kick with out even a pop or it trying to fire. I even dumbed a some gas in the spark plug whole, and it still wont fire, which leads me to believe that it has something to do with the spark! I really need you guys to help me out, just give me some ideas to try out. It has a brand new plug in it by the way. The engine also turns over fine!

try putting your old plug in

when kicking it can you smell gas come out of the exhaust?, if so its flooded, are all your valve clearences set?, is your carb idle to low?

honestly i have no way of Knowing if my idle is to low, and im pretty sure my valve cleances are on spot, last i check they where a little off but nothing very far!

turn your idle screw one full turn in, and kick it with no throttle like 20-30 times

mine did this same weird thing, and then it ran great

turn it one turn in from where? all the way out? should i have the choke on?

no turn it in one turn from where it is now, so it will raise it, try choke, try no choke

Perhaps the easiest option, put new gas in it, my bike wouldnt start (not even a pop) after sitting for a month with the same gas. Drained tank, new gas, fired first kick.

By "rebuilding", do you mean new valves too?

My 04 CRF would not start either. It turns out the valves had stretched and the motor was actually blowing instead of sucking air! I had to install shims.

yea, last week I helped a friend with his bike ('04 crf250r), it would not start...we checked the valves, two had closed up, no clearance and the other two were pretty far off, I can't remember which ones were closed...anyway we shimmed them up and got them in spec and the bike started and ran perfect...the day before it had started and ran fine too...so check you valves, if they're old and start going out of spec frequently like my friends are starting to, you will need new valves...