Sign in to follow this  

How often do you guys crash, fall, bail, etc... riding track?

I have been riding since around February/March mostly Off road and i have had several crashes and get offs at fast speeds or in rocky places with only minor scratches and bruises.

But i have an starting adiction to the local SX track, and i have been riding there for about 2 months.

The problem is that i have taken some hits in the track. (bails, casing jumps, low-sides) And these hits have started to take their toll. (My body is all beaten up from previous sports accidents)

How often do you guys fall while riding SX tracks?

Are things gonna get better once i get the hang of it or am I just to old (28 years old) to learn how to ride SX?

There's a few things we all must remember....

Never race w/ brand new equipment. Seems like it's really bad luck. Second, if you race, RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE and have fun. Third, don't try to show off or you can/will get hurt really bad.

I did all of the above on my first practice lap, during my first race. I crashed and a fellow rider landed on my head.... :thumbsup: my head hurt!! Paramedics were amazed my head was still attached :applause: Thank goodness my neck didn't snap. :ride:

To answer your question, you're more likely to wash out the front end a whole lot if you just take it easy. If you were being a super squid like i was.... then you'll crash a whole lot harder and it'll ruin your day.

I dont race, neither plan to for a while.

I think that maybe the local SX track It`s just 2 much.

2 many doubles/triples very short straightways to catch speed to clear the jumps which by the way are to close in together.

The terrain is another issue its uneven hard terrain where your tires slip all over, and on top of it lots of loose dirt.

So you loose your speeed on the sand then you loose your bike`s rear end on the hard terrain braking and acelerating bumps and so on.

I just would love to ride a MX track like some i have seen on U tube or have heard from here in TT. Somewhere nice to learn on. I believe that riding this track its like a bomb waiting to explode. That every lap you take could end in a crash.

Any advice from you guys?

i've been riding for 20 years plus and have had about 4-5 hard crashes. i couldn't count the minor crashes though, many!!

I tell you what's sad. One time I was just kicking my bike over and somehow my boot got caught in the frame and I fell over and broke my wrist. :thumbsup:

I tell you what's sad. One time I was just kicking my bike over and somehow my boot got caught in the frame and I fell over and broke my wrist. :thumbsup:

Wow, that sucks.

I fall quite a bit, but they're mostly minor get-offs (front wheel washouts).

On Sunday, I hit a fence, hard. I'm out for awhile with a broken foot.

I crash usually once or twice every time i ride on the track. I push myself super hard, so i usually end up pushing too hard.

I get a ton of crap at work every Monday when I come to work limping with road rash all over. I have been renamed "Crash" by my coworkers. I told them that they could at least put some effort into a nickname. Crash? That took about 0.0000002 seconds worth of thought.

So in closing, I tend to crash a lot. Very rarely do I crash anywhere expect turns. I'm always trying to pick up corner speed and that's where I go down 95% of the time.

I have a lot of corner crashes like it seems everyone else does. Nothing too serious... But every once and a while I while hit a weird rut in a jump face and get the bike kicked all weird and have a good crash.

I have a lot of corner crashes like it seems everyone else does. Nothing too serious... But every once and a while I while hit a weird rut in a jump face and get the bike kicked all weird and have a good crash.

Last Saturday I almost had a good get off. I was railing this left handed turn where there was a really good rut on the outside. Right out of the turn is a 40 foot step down table. As I exited the turn I was riding the rear tire and right at the exit of the rut/ start of the jump face there was a knarly square edged hole. I was hard on it in 3rd gear and went of the jump completetely sideways! :ride: I was able to straighten it out in the air, but just barely. High siding off the top of a step down is never any fun. :thumbsup:

I have never really crashed hard. Sure I have come up short and gotten pounded but I have never had any bad get offs. I have only had two minor crashes and both of those were stupid crashes. (Let myself get cross rutted) I guess yamahas just have really secure front ends because I used to wash out all the time on my old KX125.

I guess part of the reason why I never crash is I still have to get my parents to take me to the track (even though im 16) and everytime we get to the track they always tell me things like: "You dont have to get yourself hurt we can always come back" "Dont worry about anybody else on the track" "Ride your own speed" "Only jump what you feel comfortable jumping" and things of that sort. Really, I am glad that they always tell me that because I havent had anything worse than scrapes at the track. My friends on the other hand have hurt wrists, knees, backs, and their bikes.

I tend to be much more worried about hurting the bike than myself. When I have sketchy moments, all I can think about is not hurting the bike. It's always been that way for some reason.

That "SX" style track is probally your problem. You need to find a VET style track to practice on with tabletops before you start hitting those triples. LOL. As for me, my crashes are ussually front end wash outs.

I have had some crashes on doubles. But i just had my first ever crash coming out of a corner.

It was stupid, rear tire didnt grab when i pinned it and it sort of made a "donut" throwing me and the bike to the ground.

It was lame but i hurted my hand because it was "glued to the throtle all the way and it got hyperextended. My knees are pretty hurt and my ankle got bent it is sore right now.

I have had similar and way worst getoffs while trail and they didnt hurt as much.

i use to take falls all the time when i had my kx 80, i would ride it to its full potential though, and push myself really hard to get it going like that. crashed 3 times a day or so, sometimes minor sometimes major. once i overcleared this table, it was more like a box, straight up the front, flat on top, and straight down the back. anyways, i missed the landing completely and came down hard from about 35 feet high in the air (considering the jump was built up and the end of the take-off). i landed, smashed my face on the bars and blacked out.10 seconds later i find my self in 3 gear revving the bike to the moon with the front tire sliding all over the place, almost lost it there. i also snapped my chain during the whole mishap.

now that i have my yz125, i dont need to ride as hard, but im still plenty fast. the other day i was riding in the woods, came up my hill and held the clutch, i accidentally let go the clutch while doing a sharp turn an took off through my neighbors fence. the bike took a whole section down.

I use to fall off a bit until i started watch other people and looking at what technique i was using. At the time (some 6 years ago) i had a bad style. I watched video's, talked to people and once i mastered a turn or a lap without crashing i built my confidence up very quickly. This enabled me to ride more aggressive and attack larger jumps as i have the confidence and know how to ride what the situation was.

Main thing is race the track no one else. If your track permits walk the track prior to practice or ride around in 2nd gear for a bit and study the corners and what's up next. I think practice is the only key!

Have fun and remember to wear body Armour!! :thumbsup:

I tend to be much more worried about hurting the bike than myself. When I have sketchy moments, all I can think about is not hurting the bike. It's always been that way for some reason.

Same here. My first thought when i go down is always "Oh sh!t! Hows my bike???". Two years ago when i sprained my neck and got a concussion, the only thing i kept repeating (had almost no memory except who i was and who was around me, for about 8 hours) was how bad my bike was..

ya i can say i have had some pretty weird crashes. my best one yet is when i was going in this rhythm section and i cleared the first set of doubles then pinned it for the next set but they were about 2 to 3 feet farther. so i was straddled on top of the jump, came down, pinned the throttle, and went up the next corner and did an endo and my bike landed on me. good thing it was only an 80 and strangely i didn't bend, break, or do anything to my bike. so i was lucky. and my other one is that i was coming out of a corner and popped the clutch and i accidently ran into the side of our shop, and was pinned between a pole and the side of the shop. and i didn't break anything there either. so either luck or something else happened there