Sign in to follow this  

front sprocket

im having some trouble deciding which size front sprocket to put on my 250f. im about 120 pounds. 12 or 13 tooth? is there any advantage over a renthal sprocket and the old original hardened steel sprocket? which will last longer?

the 13 will do you just fine. Some will advise the 12 for really slow technical stuff, but these bikes have plenty of torque. 13 is stock i believe. Hardened steel will last a lot longer. Go back with a stock piece.

Switching to the aluminum sprocket will save you about.... 2 ounces. Aluminum, thanks to it's much more malleable properties, will not last as long as good old battleship making steel.

Like gmoss said, unless you're doing some REALLY tight stuff, a 12 tooth will give you tons of grunt down low, but don't expect to get anywhere too fast.

im having some trouble deciding which size front sprocket to put on my 250f. im about 120 pounds. 12 or 13 tooth? is there any advantage over a renthal sprocket and the old original hardened steel sprocket? which will last longer?

Use the 12T CS on a WRF not a YZF, on a YZF make the rear a 50T instead and leave the front as stock 13T. Steel is stronger than aluminum, go with steel if you want it to last.

go up teeth sizes on REAR sprockets for low end grunt

go up teeth sizes on FRONT sprockets for top end pull

the front sprocket sizes have been fine on all my bikes, id just change the rear sizes depending on what terrain

up sizes for tighter tracks/areas

down sizes for more open 3/4 throttle + tracks/areas

renthal is bad bad bad! :ride:

the pros use em for 1 race then throw em away

stick with steel it will last a good long while :thumbsup:

Use the 12T CS on a WRF not a YZF, on a YZF make the rear a 50T instead and leave the front as stock 13T. Steel is stronger than aluminum, go with steel if you want it to last.

i agree if you want some a little diffrence go with the 13 and 50. want a big diffrence go with 12 and 52 but with the 12 front will slow you down alot.

go up teeth sizes on FRONT sprockets for top end pull QUOTE]

the bigger the front sprocket is the faster the top speed is. does nothing for the pull of the bike except reduce it. :thumbsup: