05 WR450 - suspension upgrades (DIY?)

Hi Snapper.

The price of trans fluid isn't the reason it's used in forks - the local Yamaha workshop has also heard of it being used. Trans fluid is designed and formulated to work evenly at pressure and temperature changes in a transmission whilst lubricating it. You may be surprised to hear that a few people are using it with great results ...

I think i'll start a thread to see what kind of feedback there is on this topic and how popular it is becoming

never heard of it being used but I can't see why it wouldn't work. be interested to see how many others have used it.

which 5 shims did your mates remove?

I use ATF at 120mm in my bike and I still run standard springs even though I am about 115kg riding weight. It works great. Have you thought about changing your springs? :applause::ride:

Maybe you could make a post on www.dirtblokes.com.au. Being on the other side of the world, you need to take into account that the springs work upside down compared to in the northern hemisphere. Hence the compression and rebound clickers are arse about. There are some suspension experts on the above site who can help you out with some local Aussie knowledge. There are also some people who can offer you completely useless advice as well. It's always nice to have a choice ?

Nigel

mobil 1 synthetic ATF works great,but since i've moved on to maxima synthetic 7w,i weigh around 290 lbs and the heavier oil works better for me. i have also installed hyd bottomouts (which would work on your fork,mine are 03 vintage) which allows me to run softer springs and valving while still retaining that last bit of bottoming resistance. there is a place in new zealand that makes them(they are also made here by racing suspension products) i forgot the name of the people in NZ,maybe terry hay would know. he's a racetech dealer somewhere down under. another benefit from these bottomouts is that they eliminate the cylinder valve

I use ATF at 120mm in my bike and I still run standard springs even though I am about 115kg riding weight. It works great. Have you thought about changing your springs? :applause::ride:

Maybe you could make a post on www.dirtblokes.com.au. Being on the other side of the world, you need to take into account that the springs work upside down compared to in the northern hemisphere. Hence the compression and rebound clickers are arse about. There are some suspension experts on the above site who can help you out with some local Aussie knowledge. There are also some people who can offer you completely useless advice as well. It's always nice to have a choice ?

Nigel

yeh good points especially the impact of the equatorial differential

the dirtblokes post is quite amusing especially from that "feral" person - waht a snapperhead. A lot of people have good knowledge but getting them to share it instead of sprouting unexplained opinion is a challenge.