Sign in to follow this  

Crf 250r 06'

Quick question all,

Went to change the engine oil and filter in my sons new bike last night and found that I was about 10 ozs low on oil. I change the oil every 10 hours like the manual says. I guess I should check the oil more frequently than 10 hours? I thought after ten hours all the oil for the most part would still be in there especially on a bike that has less than 20 hours total on it. Is this oil consumption fairly normal? Thanks in advance for your help. Have a good day all.

Sid

yes its normal. check the oil before every ride. these 250fs eat up a lot of oil.

It sounds to me like you are not checking the right oil compartment. There are two separate compartments for your motor oil and your gear oil. Just in case you do not know that..... I doubt you would lose 10 ounces with a new bike like that. Are you sure it was full when he started riding it? Also, I hope this isn't your first oil change since he started riding. The oil should have been replaced after his first ride.

Did you change the oil filter by any chance? Then filled the oil and checked it straight away? Cause after its run it would take up a bit more oil after its been throught the filter. Might want to cahnge it a bit sooner than 10 hrs! I usually do the engine oil after 3, the tranny I leave a bit longer. Also you should check oil levels before going out, just incase its low.

If you check the oil before every ride you will never be low. Its just cheap insurance.

Quick question all,

Is this oil consumption fairly normal?

Sid

No, it's not! If you're burning that much oil in that amount of time, then you have ring blow by issues (a bad ring seat with the cylinder wall). It is not uncommon for a completely brand new bike to burn oil, but it should not.