Sign in to follow this  

2006 crf 50 problem

I'm new to the mini scene. I bought my first 2006 crf 50 this week. Upgrades include Two brothers 88ccTakewaga big bore kit, bigger Kehin Carb, BBR big bore pipe and billet throttle. I bought it from the mountain region and the guy told me it was running a little rich and I needed to lean it out with the fuel screw. I got it home and it runs good but when i slam open the throttle from idle it wants to bog down and then catch up. If it's in neutral and i open the throttle all the way, it will bog to the point of cutting off. I haven't had time to check the plug to see what's going on. My intentions is to mess with it this Saturday when i have ample time. I'm no mechanic so bear with me. Any information would be appreciated.

The pilot jet is to big,Do some head work to it and hold on. Flattrackers Rule

Not so......... Your Pilot Jet controls from Idle to 1/4 throttle your main Jet controls from 1/2 throttle to full throttle.

Check the plug if its Black drop down at least 2 main sizes and try again Alsoyou want to end up with your Clip in the middle postition on your needle Jet if you can to be spot on.

If it has a bog when you snap the throttle open your main may not be big enough or try raising your needle one notch.

We'll I guess with having over 50 first place wins with our 2000 XR50,You would think that the shop tuning our bikes would know a little about fuel/air mixtures,that would be carb,head and exhaust.I'll tell you now that the fella's giving you answers to your questions are guessing.Has any of them ever had a 50 on a Dyno machine.I state my case,Good luck! :thumbsup:

We'll I guess with having over 50 first place wins with our 2000 XR50,You would think that the shop tuning our bikes would know a little about fuel/air mixtures,that would be carb,head and exhaust.I'll tell you now that the fella's giving you answers to your questions are guessing.Has any of them ever had a 50 on a Dyno machine.I state my case,Good luck! :thumbsup:

Well, neither of my bikes have a bog. Nor does any other bike I have tuned on the dyno. The bog when you snap the throttle open comes from being lean. If your idle mixture is correctly set and it runs good on the top end then all that has to be done is raise the needle. What happens is the slide is opening allowing a lot of air to come in but the needle isn't far enough out of the hole to allow enough fuel so you get a bog. It's very simple.

Even a stock crf50 needs the needle raised one notch. And I am not guessing. Seen this problem too many times.

I tuned my 131hc gpx and my 88 w/ 18mm carb on the dyno. I am on the dyno all the time w/ cruisers and sportbikes putting jet kits in. Same principles apply there. If the needle isn't high enough or the main isn't big enough you get that bog when you snap the throttle open.

Don't come in here acting like you are god's gift to carbs just b/c you have some wins under your belt. You said yourself a shop tunes your bikes. I state my case.

moved the needle up one notch and played with the air/fuel screw for a few minutes,,,,,RUNS LIKE A CHAMP! Holy crap it's like a new bike. Thanks to ALL for your help.

Like i said in my earlier post I moved the needle up one notch and adjust the air/fuel mix. It ran fine after that, rode it about 30 minutes. I got it out two days later and it's running like crap. It acts like it has no bottom end? It will take off fine, but if i let off the throttle and let it come close to idle and get back into the gas like doing a motor wheelie it seems to bog/sputter for a second and then catch up? I pulled the plug and it's pretty black which tells me that it is running rich. There's no room for adjustment to the fuel screw and when i move the needle back down it runs lean no matter how much i adjust the fuel screw out. It was extremely humid today? I made sure the choke wasn't sticking, changed the plug? What do i do now? The problem seems to be between 0 and 1/4 throttle?