Sign in to follow this  

Duck Tape Rim Strip???

I am switching out my rear tire and tube for the first time. After removing the old tire and tube I found quite a bit of dust, dirt, and debris inside the tire, and on the rim. Whoever replaced the tire last used the old tube with a patch on it :thumbsup: . After cleaning up the rim this morning, I am getting ready for the rim strip. I have heard of using duck tape instead of buying one of those rubber rim strips. I already taped up my rim, and I would like some pictures of what it should look like when completed. I am pretty sure I need to trim the tape but if I dont need to then I won't. Thanks for your help.

The tape should be 1/2 wide or so, just covering the inner drop zone of the rim where the spokes are. Two wraps are all you need.

The tape should be 1/2 wide or so, just covering the inner drop zone of the rim where the spokes are. Two wraps are all you need.

I've never used duct tape myself, as the rubber strips are $1 each, but that is exactly how I've been told to do it...if you're using duct tape. I recommend 3M duct tape as it's the best stuff around.

Duct tape is better than rubber strips, and far less hassle when changing tires. Once its on, it stays on, it doesn't move, and you don't have to worry about getting it over the rim lock.

I'm completing my tire change job tonight, maybe I'll return my rubber strips and try the duct tape.

I use the strips. I don't like all that gumbo sticky crap that collects dirt in the rim.

In defense of duct tape, which I've never used myself, a little lighter fluid will remove that gumbo sticky crap sans effort.

I use the rubber strips and vinyl electrical tape to cover the spoke heads on my rims. The glue on electrical tape is not quite as messy as duct tape. I'm an electrician, so I've allways got plenty around.

I like duct tape because it almost covers the whole inside part of the rim. Use a strip of ducttape and then put a rim band on top of it.

Duct tape is better than rubber strips, and far less hassle when changing tires. Once its on, it stays on, it doesn't move, and you don't have to worry about getting it over the rim lock.

If you know how too change a tire you don't have the hassel of trying too put it over the rim-lock.. I change alot of tires, you can put the rim-lock and rubber strip on before even touching the tire. The tire will lift right over the rim-lock and strip so you don't hafe too mess with it after you get one side of the tire on.. I personally use both I will wrap some tape then use rubber strip..

Hmmm, thanks for all the post replies. Does it really need to be two times around? I only did on with a few inches of overlap, will this be a problem in the future? Thanks again for the help.