Sign in to follow this  

Help - Clutch Cable Question

I know this is a dumb question, but has me stumped for now. Tonight I lubed my clutch cable by releasing the lever end and also at the clutch spindle ie took the arm off the spindle. now when i reconnect the cable there is just freeplay on the cable and if i then rotate the spindle all the way anticlockwise and then reattach the arm, the clutch is harder to pull in then before i started and when i try and push the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in it's much harder to push then before i disconnected the cable.

any ideas?

So you took the little arm off the splines on the lower end, I take it? If you did, you didn't have to.

It sounds like you didn't put it back on in the same position on the splines, so now you can't get enough adjustment on the cable to pull the clutch all the way in.

I usually just hold the arm over with a big pair of visegrips, while I free the cable at the handle bar end. Once it's free up top, it'll pop right off on the engine case end.

I always put a mark at the end of the spindle before I remove, so that it is easier to realign when reinstalling. This goes for shift levers and any other similar applications.

thanks for the info...so even a couple of notches difference on the spindle can make a big difference on the clutch action? how do you know when you have it back on right?

Most of the time I don't take it off, no reason to. If I were to I'd be sure I indexed it so I knew what position to replace it.

if you're still trying to get it on (the clutch cable/spindle that is) and are looking for the original position,something I have been able to do before, with a dirty bike you can find the original position by spotting the dirt on the splines not covered by the clamp. Otherwise you'll get it through trial and error :thumbsup:

I always put a mark at the end of the spindle before I remove, so that it is easier to realign when reinstalling. This goes for shift levers and any other similar applications.

Use a felt tippped pen before you remove. It will save you some grief. I also mark my CS nut and any other fastener that I want to keep an eye on should it come loose.

Paint pen will make an even better mark for you to see :thumbsup: