Sign in to follow this  

Seafoam.....wtf?

What is this crap....iam hearing you let the engine suck it in out of the can and then pour the rest into your gas tank....it cleans everything..... what the hell is this?

someone else posted in a different forum that it can add some 2-3 hp... im :thumbsup:

What is this crap....iam hearing you let the engine suck it in out of the can and then pour the rest into your gas tank....it cleans everything..... what the hell is this?

someone else posted in a different forum that it can add some 2-3 hp... im :thumbsup:

Snake Oil. I think it's just alcohol, naptha and some other mineral spirit. I've heard people swear by it. I've tried and never noticed anything.

I just tried it on my street bike hoping it would unplug a gunked up carb....No go. It didn't do crap. Looks like the carb is coming off for a cleaning, which really sucks on a inline 4 sportbike.

I found it on a forum for my truck and and all of these people were swearing by it for my 4.3 vortec

It's essentially a cleaner, and it does have fuel stabilizing properties. I use a half cup or so in every 5 gallon can I buy, (unless we're goin ridin, 5 gallons gets old fast) and I don't see the starting problems with the lawnmower anymore. Since I have started this practice, I don't see the gumming problems that I used to in engines that get used very little.

It will clean minor amount of residue, but it's not a cure-all, and should never be used to replace a good cleaning and inspection.

It works great for cleaning carbon deposits from the combustion chamber on your car or truck. I use it about every 15,000 to 20,000 miles. Start with a cold engine. Remove the vacuum line going to the brake booster and stick a funnel in it. Start the engine and slowly pour the S/F into the funnel. You will have to give it a little throttle to keep it running. This will suck the Seafoam straight into the cylinders and will remove a lot of the carbon. Be warned, your car/truck is going to smoke for a few miles after doing this. The engine should seem to run smoother.

I looked it up. It's Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), pale oil and naphtha. If it works, great, but.....

It works great for cleaning carbon deposits from the combustion chamber on your car or truck. I use it about every 15,000 to 20,000 miles. Start with a cold engine. Remove the vacuum line going to the brake booster and stick a funnel in it. Start the engine and slowly pour the S/F into the funnel. You will have to give it a little throttle to keep it running. This will suck the Seafoam straight into the cylinders and will remove a lot of the carbon. Be warned, your car/truck is going to smoke for a few miles after doing this. The engine should seem to run smoother.

I use it every 10,000 miles. I let the engine reach operating temp. Then I use the break booster line to suck in about 8-10 ounces of seafoam until the engine dies. I let it sit for about 5-7 minutes, start it up, and run the dog pi$$ out of it for about 10 minutes. Then change the oil. I pour the remaining seafoam into the gas tank......

I guess i just dont understand why this stuff would work so well but noone ever hears about it?

don't use the tranny additive in an automatic tranny. I've heard from mechanics that it destroys the fluid, it works fine in manuals (haven't tried it) but breaks down the automatic tranny fluid....

I use the gas additive in the tank only all the time...about once a month with a full tank nothing beat real maintenance though.

a lot of boaters use it... use it in my old searay 160... keeps the outboard running and starting great...