changing my throttle cable

OK, I try to do as much of the work my bike needs myself but being fairly new and unexperienced I go through more error than trial ?

So I am about to change out my throttle cable and was wondering is there any little tricks I could use or anything I should watch out for?

Any assistance would be a big help as every task I try to tackle seems huge until I've gotten it done that first time.

cheers.

It's pretty straight forward...

There's two cables. Just unscrew the two screws in the throttle grip setup, and it'll come apart in two pieces. One cable clips into one half, and one into the other half. The ends should pop right out of the spool, when you take it apart.

The carb end is just as easy. Undo the lock nuts, and pop the ends out of the notches.

Reverse to install and adjust.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the return/push cable. Cut the cable and pull it out of the rubber boot, then fill the hole with silicon.

Called motion pro to order a custom length throttle cable (+2"). Was told it was $3x.00 for each cable. $3x.00 for the pull cable and $3x.00 for the push cable. The will not just sell one! :ride:?

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the return/push cable. Cut the cable and pull it out of the rubber boot, then fill the hole with silicon.

Do you advise that for the Mikuni BSR, the Keihin FCR or both? Is it because when dirt gets in the housing the throttle does not snap back and the return cable makes things worse?

Just wondering because I'm putting on a DRZ400E OEM FCR on my 2005 SM next week, so I might as well do it since I will have to change to E cables at the same time.

That is the way I run it on my klx with the fcr and the tengai. I haven't found a carb yet that needs the return/push cable.

Dirt, dust, gunk, whatever, I just know that that cable always seems to be the one that screws up first. Way before the pull cable does.

I like my return cable, I have yet to see a throttle get stuck closed!

Stuck open on the other hand, now that gets exciting.

Someone should invent a little red button placed near the right grip that immediately kills the engine...

Sometimes if the spark plug is hot enough it will auto-ignite and the red button won't work. Happened to me once with a 2 stroke. I stopped and switched the contact and emergency switch off... still reving... petcock off finally killed it...

Come to think about it, that would suck on a bike with a vacuum percock ?