Sign in to follow this  

sprocket swap, do I need chain mod?

15 tooth front - 44 tooth rear, going to a 41 tooth rear.

JT or Sunstar any preferences?

Is there enough adjustment to avaoid removing chain links?

Is a chain mod with o-ring chain as scary as it sounds?

Thanks,

Jv

I recently did that swap and I just purchased a stock sproket off a SM model because its a 41T and it was about $30. You will have to shorten the chain two links and if the chain is stock you will also have to cut the chain and have it shortened and put a master link back in. The only problem that you will have is if you want to go back to the stock set up the chain will be too short. But the swap is well worth it if you do nothing but highway driving.

Is the chain something I can do myself with a special tool or something?

I looked and cannot find a master link like a normal chain on the o-ring style.

I have changed chains on a bunch of different bikes. Use an angle grinder to cut through the stock chain and then use the angle grinder to grind the heads off of the rivits. Use a drift to punch out the rivits and buy a 520 o-ringed master link from your local motorcycle shop. Don't forget to pack the masterlink o-rings with grease. (the masterlink kit should come with it)

Its not that bad of a job, give it a try.

I am doing the same thing. The guy at my bike shop wanted to know what the brand name on my chain was. I told him it was the stock chain. He said he needed to know what brand it was before he could sell me a master link. Any ideas?