Sign in to follow this  

Sell it or keep it?

Bought a 96 XR400 that had an Ohlin rear shock installed. Seller gave me the OEM shock as well. I thought about just keeping it, (in case something happened to Ohlins), but then I saw that the price for a new shock is $800!! Should I sell it for several hundred, or keep it as a spare part? I mean, if the Ohlins breaks they can be rebuilt by a shop pretty easily, right? What would you guys all do? To Ebay, or not to Ebay...that is the question.... :thumbsup:

I tend to keep stuff like that as spares. Also, if there is the possibility, that I would upgrade to a newer XR400, I would want to transfer the Ohlins.

Keeping things is great if you have storage space for all of it. I tend to get rid of excess baggage (while it is still worth something) and it helps out your fellow riders who are in need. If you were to get a newer XR it will have a shock on it to trade out the Ohlins unit. I dont use e-bay ( if I can keep from it)as that just drives the prices up. I dont try to make money on parts, just offset the cost of other modifications somewhat.

If you get it set up for YOU, then you'll never need another shock.

Keep the clutter down and dump the OE shock. I agree it is better to help someone else than haul it around--I should know, I''ve got stuff I've hauled literally from one coast to the other, with side trips in between!

je