Sign in to follow this  

API standards...sorry

First I appoligize for yet ANOTHER oil thread, but this ones is simple, I hope. I've got an '02 DRZ 400E, the manual says only use "SF or SG" rated oils so I've been running Castrol 4 stroke because it's rated "SG", not because I like its performance. I bought, but haven't used yet, Spectro 4 as it was highly recommended to me, which is rated "SL". Is this ok to use knowing the different API standard?

Just in case I decide to go synthetic....what is the procedure (if any) to switch from petroleum based to synthetic oil? Do you run the same filter?

Thanks (I hope I didn't start another debate... :thumbsup: )

there was a really good thread on here a while ago with a link to a sport rider magazine's oil test. They discuss the standard rating systems and expirement to test several popular oils. I dont remember the ratings off-hand so I cant answer your question directly-sorry.

I'm getting ready to run The Golden Spectro Syn which was recommended by the dealer.....I've ran Golden Spectro product in all of my other bikes with no problems...I've always been told it's fine, so long as it is motorcycle specific with out the friction inhibitors which will toast your clutch plates.

This is going to be a long thread.

I use anything that is not energy conserving.

Since I rode my S home from the dealer I have run rotellaT from walmart.

"SL" is fine. It is the newest standard. Spectro 4 is fine. Synthetic is fine. Motortcycle specific is fine. Yes, many other oils are fine too but Spectro Synthetic motocycle specific SL oil is as fine as you can get. I also use Shell Rotella both synthetic and non-synthetic in various applications.

AHAA! I've come to one conclusion...I don't like Spectro 4 (the petrol. based one). It bubbles like crazy ! I just installed the mcct, adjusted the tappet shims and changed the oil (previously using Castrol 4 Stroke - motorcycles...not impressed either) to Spectro 4 and upon inspection of the oil level...the DIPstick is covered in bubbles. Never had that happen with the Castrol, or did I?

Ahh, what to do, what to do? :thumbsup: Maybe I can get some slightly used oil from McDonald's... :applause:

The search is stiiiiiiiiiiill on :ride:

AHAA! I've come to one conclusion...I don't like Spectro 4 (the petrol. based one). It bubbles like crazy ! I just installed the mcct, adjusted the tappet shims and changed the oil (previously using Castrol 4 Stroke - motorcycles...not impressed either) to Spectro 4 and upon inspection of the oil level...the DIPstick is covered in bubbles. Never had that happen with the Castrol, or did I?

Ahh, what to do, what to do? :thumbsup: Maybe I can get some slightly used oil from McDonald's... :applause:

The search is stiiiiiiiiiiill on :ride:

Bubbles and foam are two different things....my dip stick always has some small bubbles on it when the oil is warm.

The motor was only run for 3 minutes...I don't think the oil was even warm to the touch yet. It didn't have foam, only bubbles and A LOT of them.

Koof - The DRZ is a dry sum oil system. It has 2 oil pumps: A feed pump and a return pump. The return pump is twice the size of the feed pump so the crankcase can not fill with oil. About 1/2 of what the return pump pumps is air. Air in the oil is normal as it is returned to the oil tank. All oils have anti-foam agents so the air is quickly released in the oil tank before it is recycled back into the motor.