Sign in to follow this  

95 cr125 cylinder, scratch, want to bore it up to the next size....

ok, well as some of you may know, i have been working on a 1995 cr125 project bike. today i opened up the cylinder and its looks like a ring snapped off. the bottom end is ok, but thecyclinder has a small scratch down the side. so we wanted to bore the cylinder up to the next size so we can set it a new piston and what not. first off, is it easier to bore it out and just put a new sleeve in, or go to a shop, get it bored out to new specs, and then put the bigger cylinder in. right now the jug had no sleeve, so we have to bore it out no matter what. what do you guys think we should do, bore for new sleeve or bore for a larger bore.? :thumbsup::ride:

I believe that the cylinder has a coating, so you should just be able to bore it out to a larger size, have it recoated, and you are good to go.

I know of two places that will do the bore, coat, and mill the power valve all in house, for around $250.

US Chrome - US Chrome

Millenium Technologies - Millenium Tech

There are a bunch more companies that do this, but I know of these because they are pretty close to me in Wisconsin.

Good luck.

yea, well my dads friend john bolton, he use to race jetski's, when he need engine work done he went to this one guy. my dad called the guy up and told him we were friends of johns, h said he's gonna do it for 30 dollars, and then he'll buy the right piston kit and stuff too. i trust this guy because he bored my old kx80 which was like a tank.

DUh....kxfreak........have to bore it because there is no sleeve in it????? there is no sleve in it now because it is nikasil coated aluminum. Your dad's friend ...bore it for $30?? Yeah, right....the guy thinks it is a cast iron cylinder! They can be overbored, but then you have to have it recoated. You have basically three options:

1. sent it out and have it sleeved with an old-fashioned cast iron sleeve, after that you can get your $30 rebores done.

2. Send it out and have it bored and re-coated.

3. Send it out and have it recoated to std. bore.

Personally, I'd recommend just getting it recoated to std bore.

n.. it came out wrong wht i said before.he's just going to bore it out for us, we have a sleeve for it, hes gonna put it in too. and actually the cylinder was chrome plated, not nakisil. and the sleeve will be the exact same dimensions as a stock cylinder except is going to be made of cast iron.

n.. it came out wrong wht i said before.he's just going to bore it out for us, we have a sleeve for it, hes gonna put it in too. and actually the cylinder was chrome plated, not nakisil. and the sleeve will be the exact same dimensions as a stock cylinder except is going to be made of cast iron.

Chrome plated????

just nevemind, i skipped over a part, and that was the part i shoulda read. you were wright the whole time, i am stupid, and yes i admit to it :ride: .but yes, there are chrome plated cylinders, they are just used in smaller engines. sorry about that. im just gonna go hide in a corner now :thumbsup::applause:

I was just curious...even the holdout Italians have gone to some type of nicosil to replace the inferior chrome process. Who still chrome plates cylinders? Just curious. Tdub

im not sure, i know weed eater weed wackers are chrome plated, and alot of lawn tools like lawn mowers and stuff. not sure about vehicles though.

Just another FYI. If you bore and sleeve it, it won't last as long as an overbore and recoat.

I am pretty sure the if chrome was used as a plating, it isn't the same type of chrome that we are all thinking of.

Like freak said, some cylinders have been chrome plated, including some of the bikes from overseas in the past, but not the '95 CR125.