Idaho Riders Saturday Ride

I am planning on riding at a new trail Saturday and need any info anyone has. Has anyone ridden the trails in the Sawtooth Nat. Forest at the Willow Creek or Baumgartner campgrounds?? Looking at the map, it looks to be a great set of trails. If anyone has ridden here could you please let me know what the trails are like, and their condition. Its a long drive from here in Mountain Home and I would like to get an idea if it is worth the trip. If anyone wants to tag along let me know. Thanks for the help.

I am planning on riding at a new trail tomorrow and need any info anyone has. Has anyone ridden the trails in the Sawtooth Nat. Forest at the Willow Creek or Baumgartner campgrounds?? Looking at the map, it looks to be a great set of trails. If anyone has ridden here could you please let me know what the trails are like, and their condition. Its a long drive from here in Mountain Home and I would like to get an idea if it is worth the trip. If anyone wants to tag along let me know. Thanks for the help.

yep, rode baumgartner july 29th and 30th. awesome riding. lots of single track..tons to offer. met velo out there (knows the area really well) to show me around. might be the first and last time he'll take me out riding... ? had a little trouble staying on the bike and trail!! and i pretty much tried to climb up a tree with my wr. :ride:

baumgartner has some excellent trails. almost zero of it is suitable for anything but strong intermediate riders. the easier trails (skeleton, virginia gulch, shake creek, bremmer/smoky dome loop) are pretty beat imho. if you are skilled, fit, and never fall, there are some incredible trails that rarely get ridden (deadwood, big peak, beaver creek, n.fork of lime creek). there is some stuff there that should only be ridden one direction, e.g. little water gulch, but i wouldn't ride that at all right now since some assclowns from boise went up it earlier this year and tore it up pretty bad. wait til it gets rain.

i have some pix in the ktmtalk ride reports forum. http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=182277

might be the first and last time he'll take me out riding

until sunday anyway. :ride::applause:?:applause:

if you were smart...you would not let me on that kx100...did you happen to see how bad my wr has been beat? ?

hah. i think i observed most of the beating at close range, lol. trust me, a kx100 is 100 times easier to ride on the stuff we'll be riding.

and if i were smart, many things about my life would be very very different, but one or two would still be the same :ride:

yeah, you have to be a ktmtalk member, to keep out the riffraff i guess.

if i were driving up for the day, i'd probably drive as little of the dirt road from featherville as possible. there are many places along the road from featherville to BG where you can pull in and park with a trailer. just pick one

if you're riding on that main county road, keep your speed down and keep the dust down, both to be courteous to campers by the road and to avoid the possibility of a head-on with someone coming the other way. i've had some close calls on that road, so i go pretty cautiously around all the corners.

Are the trails mailnly wooded single track? Thanks.

http://auburnvalleywings.org/images/2006jpgs/spodefest2006/index.htm

link edited

there's a few of my photos there.

the trails are mostly narrow, steep sidehill, occasionally technical, rustic singletracks. i've had expert riders give up and turn back on me before rather than continue through something i thought was fun.

http://www.motosapiens.net/pix/brandon_deadwood2.jpg

that's a good pic of brandonw (now banned forever for being a liberal weenie) on one of the easy smooth sections of deadwood.