Sign in to follow this  

Need some help and advice with new purchase

Hello Everyone,

As I have previously posted, I just purchased a slightly used 2003 KLX 400SR, a green drz400s. It was in great condition as far as I can tell, 1100 miles, and a great price. Unfortunately, it did not have a service or owners manual with it.

This is my first motorcycle ever and I know basically NOTHING about working on it, even basic maintanence issues. I know the oil was just changed but that's about it. Yesterday, I sprayed some Kawasaki foaming lube spray on the chain "just in case" cause it looked kinda dry but I don't know what I'm doing. I don't even know how to check chain tension! Help! :thumbsup: So I have two basic questions for the group. Thanks!

1) Is there an online source, tutorial, or other low cost source for information where I can find help for basic things like changing the oil, suspension settings, checking radiator fluid, chain tension, etc? I really don't like the idea of paying $100 for owners manuals.

2) Tires. I need to put dirt tires on. I went to my local dealer and they will install THEIR tires (Kings brand) on the wheels for $7 or charge me $45 per tire (just the install price) to install if I bring the whole bike in! They will charge even more if I bring in the tires that I want! Yikes. that was a shocker. I don't even know how to take the wheels off. It looks intimidating! What do all of you do for tire changes? Yourself? Do you balance them? Suggestions?

Thanks!

First of all congratulations on the new bike. :thumbsup:

I would go to repairmanuals.com and order up the service manual for the bike. They have pretty good instructions. Also, searching here will give you some very good link.

For your tires, stay away from Kings band... $45 a tire sounds a little pricey to me, but if you have never changed a tire you may just want to have them do it and balance them as well.

Hope this helps and feel free to respond with any more questions. I had my tires put on by the dealer as he was ripping me off for my 500 mile service :ride: , it was $25 for both...

1/ Find another place to change your tires, these people are ripping you off and their tires are crap.

2/Get a 'backup' CD version of the manual on Ebay for $10. That's enough for your needs right now.

3/ This should get you through the day as far as cleaning/lubricating the chain:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0208_geek/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_0506_motorcycle_chain_lube/

FREE TIP: Cleaning the chain is VERY MESSY. Don't do it on your pristine white driveway, use the neighbor's!!!

2/Get a 'backup' CD version of the manual on Ebay for $10.

I know its tempting... but I'd rather they found a 'free' version online vs. paying some crook on ebay money.

Bit far away from me but you may want to see if there are any other dirt bike owners in your area that can show you some pointers. They don't even have to be drz owners necessarily.

Post a thread in the rocky mountain forum asking for help.

I know its tempting... but I'd rather they found a 'free' version online vs. paying some crook on ebay money.

Wellllllll, did they find the free version? :thumbsup:

Unless you have a URL handy, that would be called a wild goose chase... besides he is problably old enough to decide for himself...

The right and legal way to do it would be like they do on Gixxer.com: you pay a membership fee and get access to the online version of the manual. Unfortunately I am not aware of anything like that for the DRZ manuals.

Chain.jpg

How about this? Can't tell what year it is for. Does this look like a good option. It's free but is it the right thing?

**url deleted by Mtnman44

better take that link off, not to be on TT forum. folks have been "warned" many times.

I stand corrected: that looks like the right thing. Download it before it goes away... but save for the paper edition anyways: if you keep the bike long enough you will need it at at some point :thumbsup:

I have no beef with people who have illegal copies. My beef is with the people on eBay who are profiting from it.

EDIT: Doh, I posted the same stuff twice!

I meant: BTW, I am surprised that this think has not been shut down. PM but don't post...

Kind of suprising its such a secret... if you type drzmanual into google its the first dang listing. :thumbsup:

I'm sure the TT guys don't want it posted because it makes them liable... I never searched for that manual online because I prefer the paper version. Didn't you see my post on the previous page, I mean how do you expect me to read a scan with this kind of glasses?!? :thumbsup:

yes, that is the manual. In some countries file sharing is legal, the US isnt one of them and that is going to be taken off soon I suspect.

The advice to find someone close, maybe not even a drz rider, is the best thing to do. Even if it's some pimply-faced kid. It would make their day and you'd get to learn how to do it all.

Tires-first time take it to a dealer, expect to pay for 2hr work if they are on the bike. If you manage to get them off (put bike on box or blocking or purpose built stand-good to have anyway- remove axles, remove wheels) expect to pay for 1hr work.

Tires are a contentious matter of personal preference. Most will agree that dunlop 606 or Kenda K760 Trackmaster II in 120-80/18 will be good on the rear and dunlop 756 or Maxxis cross ST in 80-100/21 will be good on the front-though I expect many will offer other alternatives and I actually dont use this set-up as I'm too cheap.

chain maintenance is also contentious. I use wd40 and stay far away from the bubbling foaming sticky goo called chain lube. Be sure to wipe off your tread and brake disc before riding no matter what you use. Many do use the goo all the time and like it.

Chain tension: also contentious (we just cant get everyone to agree on anything!) about 2 1/2-3" of clearance (more is better than not enough) between chain and swing-arm (rear suspension arm-big aluminum thing the wheel bolts to) at the rear end of the black rubber slider thing on top of the swing arm.

Tire pressure: 18-20 rear, 25 front for starters-assuming a novice rider off road and some on road.

Oil check: ride bike a while (5-10 min-idling isnt enough), shut it off, wait 3 minutes, remove dipstick near handlebars/gas tank area, clean reinsert but do not thread in, stand bike up level, set it back down, remove dip stick. Oil should be in crosshatched area.

Find some bikers. They usually congregate at coffee and doughnut shops-kinda like seals on the rocks just off the surf. Go and buy a box of doughnuts as bait and, once they are feeding well, ask them questions about where they go for maintenance and who not to go to and how to do things-get a demonstration on tire changing if you can get some blow-hard to prove to you and his friends that he actually can do a set of knobbies in under an hour-that would actually be a respectable time for an owner/rider, not a mechanic.

Oil check: ride bike a while (5-10 min-idling isnt enough), shut it off, wait 3 minutes, remove dipstick near handlebars/gas tank area, clean reinsert but do not thread in, stand bike up level, set it back down, remove dip stick. Oil should be in crosshatched area.

OH GOD, is that one more thing everyone disagrees on too? I've always heard 3 minutes of idling, let sit for 3 minutes, then check... egads... :thumbsup:

better take that link off, not to be on TT forum. folks have been "warned" many times.

OK, I've deleted the URL. I had no idea it's a no no. What's up with the manuals for these bikes? Why are they so secretive with the manuals. Just about any other product I can think of the company is more than happy to send you a replacement manual or even post online versions. They want to make sure you know how to use their product and not hurt yourself. Not so with these motorcycles. Are they in the business to sell motorcycles or manuals? Both apparently. Strange.

OH GOD, is that one more thing everyone disagrees on too? I've always heard 3 minutes of idling, let sit for 3 minutes, then check... egads... :thumbsup:

Very good point!!! The problem is that if you let the bike seat for a few days, 3 mn is not enough to get the juices flowing and it will register a low oil level. No all bikes do it but mine does, so don't go overfill it!!!

Regarding chain maintenance: the problem is that people forget to tell you what kind of chain and riding conditions it applies to... something good for a guy who rides sand with a non o-ring chain could be bad for a rider doing mostly street with an o-ring chain... There is no absolute truth there.