Sign in to follow this  

Running race gas = cleaner internals?

Went out riding this past weekend and the guy I ride with has been running race fuel from Citgo in his CRF250 bike. One is highly modified, the other 250 is stock. He had just rebuilt the top end and showed me the piston after running race gas . Besides from two spots of carbon build up, that piston looked brand new. What are some other REAL benefits from running race gas? Im buying about 5 gallons of turbo blue today for the weekend, so let me know! Also, with race fuel being more consistant than pump gas (from what ive heard), this should keep the internals cleaner, correct?

It wont have all the junk that pump has. Jetting will be more consistent and will burn cleaner. Is it needed no, you will actually lose power unless your running oxy gas. I like running race gas though just becouse it burns soo much cleaner.. :thumbsup:

It wont have all the junk that pump has. Jetting will be more consistent and will burn cleaner. Is it needed no, you will actually lose power unless your running oxy gas. I like running race gas though just becouse it burns soo much cleaner.. :ride:

I probably dont use half of the power that the 450 in stock form is capable of producing, so I doubt ill feel a power difference. I bought a 50 tooth sprocket to throw on the back to help out with the type of tracks I seem to ride on, so I doubt any power loss will be noticed by me.

I am really just wanting a cleaner burn with consistent results. :thumbsup:

the oxy race fuel is way cleaner than the pump junk,

and more importaintly it has a complete burn and does not make all the engine dirt to blow past the ring like the junk pump fuel,

the pump fuel really dirtys up you crankcase oil and does not help the ring and valves because of all the engine dirt .

Race gas is a waste of money in a stock CRF450.

Find some VP U4 and you will be a happy camper.

I really dont want to spend that much cash on gas.

Race gas is a waste of money in a stock CRF450.

You're really not getting why I posted this are you. Im not wanting to add ZOMG HUGE POWER, im just wanting it to burn cleaner and reduce the ammount of crap in my top end.

You're really not getting why I posted this are you. Im not wanting to add ZOMG HUGE POWER, im just wanting it to burn cleaner and reduce the ammount of crap in my top end.

I know that you want a cleaner combustion chamber but the truth of the matter is a little carbon from pump gas isn't going to cause you any problems.

Here's a good tip. Instead of buying $7 a gallon race gas, stick with $3 pump gas. Every 12 gallons of gas that you burn will save you enough money to buy a new rear tire.

I'm sure race fuel is a contributing factor in my CRF's long intake valve life.The piston was very clean when it was replaced at 140 hours too.I'm well over 200 hours now and beginning to worry so I'll redo the whole shooting match this winter.

Went out riding this past weekend and the guy I ride with has been running race fuel from Citgo in his CRF250 bike. One is highly modified, the other 250 is stock. He had just rebuilt the top end and showed me the piston after running race gas . Besides from two spots of carbon build up, that piston looked brand new. What are some other REAL benefits from running race gas? Im buying about 5 gallons of turbo blue today for the weekend, so let me know! Also, with race fuel being more consistant than pump gas (from what ive heard), this should keep the internals cleaner, correct?

I've talked to local racers and mechanics who ride and wrench on 450R's. They say that good qaulity fuel will keep your engine internals cleaner (because it burns better) but DO NOT let it sit in your carb for any lenght of time. Apparently, some of the additives in race fuel will clog jets in the carb if race fuel is left in the carb. The mechanics I've talked to recommend draining the carb of race fuel if the bike is going to sit for a while (a week or two).

I know that you want a cleaner combustion chamber but the truth of the matter is a little carbon from pump gas isn't going to cause you any problems.

Here's a good tip. Instead of buying $7 a gallon race gas, stick with $3 pump gas. Every 12 gallons of gas that you burn will save you enough money to buy a new rear tire.

Race gas really isnt that expensive to me. I fill up my V6 ranger each week for around $45 and use that as my daily driver. I get 5 gallons of race gas (turbo blue) @ 5.50 a gallon, it lasts me a couple of weeks. I dont spend money on lots of other crap, so finding the cash for tires and such is no big deal.

Burned : If they only carry 115 octane turbo blue at the location I goto, would mixing this 50/50 with 93 octane get me around where I would need to be? Or is this just going to clutter up the cylinder and head still? Also, what is the reason for being under 100 octane? Not that I dont trust you, I just like to understand why as well. Thanks!!

Race gas really isnt that expensive to me. I fill up my V6 ranger each week for around $45 and use that as my daily driver. I get 5 gallons of race gas (turbo blue) @ 5.50 a gallon, it lasts me a couple of weeks. I dont spend money on lots of other crap, so finding the cash for tires and such is no big deal.

Burned : If they only carry 115 octane turbo blue at the location I goto, would mixing this 50/50 with 93 octane get me around where I would need to be? Or is this just going to clutter up the cylinder and head still? Also, what is the reason for being under 100 octane? Not that I dont trust you, I just like to understand why as well. Thanks!!

c this would defeat your purpose of running clean fuel when you start mixing it.

c this would defeat your purpose of running clean fuel when you start mixing it.

Thoguht so. What to do!

Thoguht so. What to do!

Quit over analyzing it. Your bike is stock so just run pump gas. You don't need to change your oil or clean your filter every moto either.

this weekend im going to put in the je 13.5 to 1 piston in.what gas should i run in it?would 91 octane be good,or race gas?

100 octane unleaded is very good for your scooter. 12:1 compression ratio is a lot higher then most car/truck engines and if you can tell the difference in your vehicle then you will notice a difference in your scooter.

Bty, my tundra runs a shit load better on chevron 87 octane then on am/pm 91 octane. That says a lot to the people who think all pump gas is equal