Sign in to follow this  

Help! slipping in 2nd gear

Okay, I'm as noobie as it gets, and I have a question. I just got a 00 DR650 and when I'm in second gear and opening the throttle wide it feels like my bike slips for a moment, as if somethings not catching right. This mainly happens when I'm going up hills, but has happened on flat a couple times. Can anyone help, with some advice as to what this might be caused by? Maybe the chain? maybe second gear itself being worn? :thumbsup:

Are you sure it only happens in second? If not it's probably a slipping clutch. Adjust the clutch, and if it's all out of adjustment, then it's time for new clutch plates. A slipping clutch will give you symptoms of the engine revving when accelerating, but the bike lagging behind the engine in it's acceleration. Testing it on a hill in a highish gear is the easiest test to rule this one out.

Thanks for the tips everyone, and can someone please clue me in on how to get my hands on this bike's owners manual because I have none. Thanks again

Thanks for the tip, and by the way, I peeped the countershaft sprocket this morning and the teeth are pretty worn down. Hopefully replacing it will solve my problem.

your chain is probably way too tight.....and if the countershaft is all worn your chain is probably spanked.....which means your rear sprocket is probably toast too.......it is highly recommended to replace all three at the same time.....if you only replace the chain or only the sprockets the new item gets worn much faster....they all wear together.

Thanks rmx, I did check the rear sprocket as well, and it is thrashed. My chain isn't too tight, but I think I will replace all three just so my baby's running as smoothly as possible. What does "spanked" mean? cheers to all :thumbsup:

Thanks rmx, I did check the rear sprocket as well, and it is thrashed. My chain isn't too tight, but I think I will replace all three just so my baby's running as smoothly as possible. What does "spanked" mean? cheers to all :thumbsup:

Toasted. wasted, done, FUBAR, tired, lame, fraged. and f--ked.

ah, but of course. I'm going to get a new chain even though it's not FUBAR yet. I don't have a center stand so I'm going to go ahead and set her up on a milk crate-that works right?

I still haven't replaced my sprockets, but I'm wondering whether this might be the result of a worn out gear. Since it only happens in 2nd, does anyone think that the gear itself might be damaged?

Slipping the chain on the sprocket would be loud and JOLTING. There would be no doubt if your chain was slipping on the rear sprocket.

Yeah, I don't think it's the chain anymore either, I bet the gear is thrashed. How serious is a damaged gearbox? Is replacing it myself feasible? Any advice or leads are appreciated, so thanks a lot guys.

Replace the chain and sprockets and the problem will go away. The reason that you feel it in second is that the power/torque that the chain transmits is lessened as the gears are up-shifted. OK then it should be even worse in first gear right? First will spin the wheel unless conditions are dry pavement. If you try a drag race start on pavement I bet it will slip but this condition is really quite abusive on bearing so just "Git er done" and ride.

I've red-lined her in 1st and there is no jolting/slipping, so I don't think it's the sprockets. How can I check if it's the clutch or if it's the gear itself? Can anyone advise me on this situation? Thanks again

Sorry for asking an answered question, and it doesn't seem to be a slipping clutch because she accelerates fine without excessive revving, fourth gear is so much fun. I'm going to go with gearbox damage like you said adventurebob. Also, it has gotten much worse since I've continued to ride it in this condition. Do you guys think I will be able to fix this myself? Any tips/insight will be very helpful, thanks