Sign in to follow this  

SCORE cookout at Manchester SF

Howdy everyone,

On Saturday, August 26th SCORE will be hosting a cookout at the trail head at Manchester State Forest. If you need more info go here: Manchester SF

The trail is in the process of being groomed this week, so it should be much smoother.

If you plan to ride you'll need a permit. Please don't ride without one because they WILL ticket you and it's not cheap.

We'll get there around 8:00 AM to meet and greet and will start picking up trash around the parking area to help improve the appearance and experience for the visitors.

We'll be cooking burgers, and maybe more - depending on the turnout, for everyone around lunch time.

If you plan to attend please respond to this post along with the number of people you'll be bringing so we can be sure to have enough food.

If we have to cancel due to weather, I'll post it on this thread, so keep an eye out for it if the weather looks iffy.

I hope to post this info on our website.

Hope to see y'all there.

Happy Trails!

:thumbsup:

I have a million things going on that day that have come up in the last couple of days but am trying to make it out. I would like to get an opportunity to meet a few people even if I don't get a chance to ride.

You know I'll be there. Circletree, you better come too!

Yeah, just let me know which parts off my bikes you need to borrow so I can bring them. :ride:

oh hardy har-har! i am the superspode king! i have to work night shift that night, but plan on attending. went down to the place where i met ya spode this am and had a blast (thanks big ivy!). looks like new housing development is going to encroach upon what is there. damn shame, as i enjoyed the trail north of the pipeline clearing...the one with the tiny creek crossing and neat hillclimb. i came out on the street with the "tower" and got glared at by some woman getting her mail. i had the quiet core installed and was as stealthy as possible...hope she wasn't offended.

will i be able to join SCORE at the manchester whoop-fest? or should i join ahead of time. let me rephrase that...the former whoop-fest, as it is being groomed. jeez, i haven't been there since 1997, rode with the blue ridge pathfinders out of charlotte/gastonia. nice ride, but i was sore for a week! hell, i may even "iron butt" it there, true dualsport style! yeah, right! if i were to DS there, i'd park my truck at the "park and ride" on 378 and offload from there!

aha! the trail with the creek crossing and rutted little hillclimb is still there! found it today...what a nice suprise. scared up a few more does today, had one leading me down a trail for a few seconds, she hung a hard left and went downhill. now i'm no bleeding heart "greenie" as i have done my share of hunting and fishing but i don't believe i could bring myself to shoot a deer. anything that can maneuver that fast in tight woods deserves to live. it will be a shame to lose that little area to developments.

I hear ya on the developments. It's a shame, but we'll probably sell our stuff one day also.

You can join SCORE at the cookout. Bring your big wallet though, it's five whole bucks.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but $5 won't buy a tank of gas anymore... :thumbsup:

y'know......durned if you aren't right! i filled up this afternoon, cost me six bucks and change. i can still pay for a tank of gas out of the change jug though!

Heck, it costs me 14 bucks :thumbsup: to fill my Aprilia Tuono last weekend in the hills, and almost $100 bucks :ride: to fill the F350... And now that I put the huge tank on the XR650R, thats going to take at least $12!!! (and the darn thing leaks , so no smoking around or behind me!)

I plan on being there if work permits. Don't forget your SC state permit!

she breathes with the soul of an XR600 junior but alas, there shall be no riding in the am......work called at 9pm, they have a shaft with bad journals that needs welding and turning to size. i'm on dinner break in the shop office, enjoying some delicious vending machine food while my weld cools off. when i hit the lottery, i'm getting out of maintenance!

i got home at 4 am, slept 'til 9, rode for one hour and got beeped! at least i got in a few laps, hate i missed the chow. remind me not to trade out weekend night shift for "on call" duty ever again, at least with the regular shift you know when you have to be there! boy, manchester is much different than the last time i was there (1997)...i don't remember anything about the first trip there, the whoops shook every single thought outta my head not to mention the '96 RM250 I had then was almost as soft as my DR.

Dang I missed you! Oh well we'll get up sometime or another.

The event was a big success. We got ten or so big bags of trash and lots of old tires. Plus we scraped up the junk that was left over from the burnt toilet. We took a group picture of everybody standing behing the trash bags we collected. Those will be going to the forestry commision for cheese points.

We only worked for an hour or so and then rode the rest of the morning. Then ate burgers and hot dogs.

well, i did get a couple laps on the red trail and two on the blue. stopped at the cross on the blue trail and pondered death for a second. i had to go back and search this forum to find out what happened. damn, 14 years old.....

i guess i'll just mail my SCORE application and the weighty fee!

It was a smashing success.

We had 1500-1600 people turn out and a great time was had by all.

Below is a picture of the trash that was picked up in morning.

landfill.jpg

i got to ride the green trail and the blue trail and they were not bad at all. my last trip was in '97 and it was a roller coaster ride. there were several spots of deep whoops but it they were in spots where you had an option of routes. reminds me of riding back home around society hill.

It was a smashing success.

We had 1500-1600 people turn out and a great time was had by all.

Below is a picture of the trash that was picked up in morning.

landfill.jpg

Assuming this post is not a joke...

This is unbelievable - has it been a while since the last event like this? Any chance on a pic of any of the trails? Single track? Elevation changes?

Edit - never mind, that must have been a joke...