Sign in to follow this  

head bolt torque

undefined

i have a xr250 2000 model and i need to know the torque of the bolts in the head of my motor???? thanx TT

Head bolt torque is 29 ft/lbs. Make sure all threads are clean and free of debris. Oil the bolt threads with engine oil and tighten in at least two steps in a criss-cross pattern. The 6mm cam cover bolts (and all the other 6mm bolts) are 7 ft/lbs, be careful with them, it is easy to strip the aluminum bolt holes out, I usually go 5-6 ft/lbs. If you do not have a service manual, get one, the manual is invaluable for correct assembly.

do not use oil on the 6mm bolts! I do not use a torque wrench with them- just tighten with a 1/4" drive and socket. the longer the bolt the more likely you will strip the threads.

do not use oil on the 6mm bolts! I do not use a torque wrench with them- just tighten with a 1/4" drive and socket. the longer the bolt the more likely you will strip the threads.

I use anti-sieze on the 6mm bolt threads. Steel screws in aluminum threads = corroded stuck threads. I would like to hear a good reason as to why the bolt threads should not be lubricated.

Is there a reason why you suggest not using oil, given that the shop manual states that one should lubricate them?

In this user's other post, someone quoted the shop manual for the XR400 verbatim. The XR250 manual states the same thing.

And another question: why would a longer bolt be more susceptible to stripped threads? I would have assumed that the loading per unit of length of bolt thread would be reduced if the length of the bolt is increased.

d.