Sign in to follow this  

trx450r to drz400s

i was wondering if anybody on here has any opinions on my situation. i currently ride a 05 Honda trx450r sport quad(pics in garage). lately I've been getting kind of bored with the whole 4 wheel thing and i think a dual sport would be an awesome replacement. i have been wanting to get into the 2 wheel scene for awhile, and lately i have been having trouble with the law when connecting trails on the street so a plated bike would help me big. the drz400s seems like an awesome bike, reliable, street legal, good used market, and very mod able, but the only thing worrying me is the power off road. i ride allot of open Fields and fire road type trails along with some sandpit's and hill climbs. I'm worried that i may be disappointed with the 400 power coming from the 450cc quad. obviously riding a drz would be the answer to my question but dual sports in general are very scarce in my area, so i don't see a test ride anywhere in my future. i have ridden a piped ltz400 quad and if i could get the drz to feel like that, id say i would be satisfied. i could sell my quad and find a used drz and probably have some money left over for mods. with the 3x3,re jet,and full exhaust on the drz400s, how would that compare to the z400 quad? i know a bike like a ktm 450exc with a plate would be a much better choice, but money is an issue, and if i ever wanted to get a set of Sm wheels and commute on the highway, the race bikes wouldn't be able to handle it like the drz could. As you can tell from my garage, i love mods so i would definitly be doing the usual hopups-(3x3,rejet,pipe,dot knobs,all weight saving mods, appearence mods, etc.) a little downgrade powerwise is expected, but i dont want something that i will be bored of in a month either.

thanks allot for any help.

A drz can be made to be as powerful as you want to spend :thumbsup:

yeah thats the case with most things, but im not looking to dig deep into the motor. a big reason why i like the drz is its reliability so im not looking to change that with high comp. pistons,etc.

motor wise id like to keep it at pipe,3x3,jets

Add a new carb to your list (fcr) and a set of cams and you'll be much happier.

anyone have first hand experience with a ltz400 and the drz400s? i know the motors are very similiar but like i said, if i could get the drz to run like a piped ltz i would be satisfied.

all you will need to get it to run like piped LTZ will be a fully system (Yoshi makes the most power) a new carb (FCR39) and the 3x3. If you still are not satified, then you can buy some cams too (they are not that expensive). It should rip pretty good after that.

all you will need to get it to run like piped LTZ will be a fully system (Yoshi makes the most power) a new carb (FCR39) and the 3x3. If you still are not satified, then you can buy some cams too (they are not that expensive). It should rip pretty good after that.

If you get the FCR and do the 3X3 it will run better than a piped LTZ. The quad has the BSR carb.

My buddy has a LTZ400. He tried to get me to get a quad before I got the DRZ. The quad beat the crap out of me :applause: . I've ridden both back to back. My bike had a FMF power bomb and power core IV pipe on it. No 3X3, and stock gearing(have since changed that :ride: ). His quad has the full Yosh pipe. Bike has just as much power and takes the bumps much better :thumbsup:

Sure it's not an MX racer, but the DRZ more than keeps me entertained.

The quad actually is detuned compared to an S/SM. It runs a 9.5K (or is it 9K???) cdi. I also think it runs the S cams.

i'm pretty sure a stock drz-s is quicker and more powerful than a ltz.

I've ridden a 05 TRX450 quite a bit and have ridden many DRZ-S's, from bone stock to slightly modded to a 440 with an edelbrock. I would say that you could get a DRZ-S up to the power of a stock 05 TRX in pretty short order with cams, FCR, airbox and pipe mods. The 05 TRX450's were pretty lame power wise, they had lower compression and different cams than the CRF's. If you had done many performance mods to the TRX450 and had it running as it should, then you will probably be disappointed in the DRZ-S.

hey thanks for the info man. compared to the crf motors, the trx is definitly detuned but i wouldnt say it is lame on power. i actually just got in from riding my quad through the farms. im only 150 pounds and the weight of the drz kind of scares me, especially since my 4 wheeler is only about 50 pounds heavier. what kind of weight are you guys shaving off when removing all of the useless junk and replacing the street legal parts with low profile stuff? the ktm 450exc is around 250 pounds, and has much more power, but the price is just way too much for a 17 year old kid thats going to college in two years. if i could shave some weight, increase some power, and get it looking nice im dont think i would have a problem with the 400.

all i have on my 450 is a yosh slip on

I have the DRZ S and a buddy has the Quad. I like my S but I will be 3x3ing and rejetting for sure. Probably just open up the stock pipe a bit (no $$$)

The 400z has the same motor but already has a pipe and is jetted for off road. THe thing I took away was, the smaller quad wheels and short wheelbase make it a wheelie machine.

I got on it the first time and nailed the throttle and almost landed on my back pockets. Other than that my S is much more fun & challenging and I can ride it to work.

If you like mods, get the S, do the 3x3, rejet and open up the pipe. We 're talking less than a hundred bucks here. Beyond that, go to 14/47 on the sprockets and add knobbies and you will never be dissapointed.

If you have an inheritance burning a hole in your mattress, you can go big bore, FCR and hot cams and it will blow your mind. Eddie has one putting out close to 60 HP. In a 300 lb bike that is CRAZY! (In a cool sort of way :thumbsup: