Sign in to follow this  

Riding near Lake Isabella/Kernville

I plan on taking my daughter up there to do some rafting, but I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to bring along our dirt bikes. I've heard of other riders stopping at Kernville, but are the trails (if any) beginner friendly? And where are they?

There are some trails around there that lead up into the Piutes from Bodfish. I haven't done these, not sure how hard they are. there are some OHV trails out there - you can ask at the local ranger station and they could tell you what is good.

The BLM's OHV area at Keysville has a few trails that are pretty neat. It's basically right at lake level, just west of the Auxiliary dam. I wouldn't call most of the trails true beginner trails, but there are a few stretches right around the staging area that aren't too tough. "Keysville Classic" is a great 7 1/2 mile loop that I think most people would call "easy intermediate."

Most of the stuff that I have seen above Bodfish and in the Piutes is pretty rugged, although I could be unaware of some easier areas.

Up ranchera(sp?) road there is plenty of riding from the evans flat campground. A lot of wooded trails just wandering around the mountains. Take the lead because some trails go from scenic drive to OMG that is a gnarly jeep trail quickly.