Sign in to follow this  

2001 WR250F pain to start

hey, i just recently baught a 2001 WR250f. It really has been becomeing a bit hard to start though, it seems like the carb might be clogged but i cleaned it three times, at first i thought it was the gas i was using because it may of had been a dirty tank, but then i drained and replaced the gas and it still was a pain to start up. someone please give me some advice on what to look for to get my bike going like it used to.

It's not just wrf's. All 4-strokes need to have their valves adjusted or replaced sooner or later it just depends on how they were rode and maintained. I just put an 05 cam in my 02 about 2 weeks ago and my valves needed adjusted before the cam. It was hard to start also.

yea but it was just running fine then all of a sudden it got hard to start. Bad valve ajustment isnt a gradual change?

I am not 100% sure on the gradual change but I thought I remember reading on this site about somebody adjusting their valves then go out for an hour ride, stop to take a rest then couldn't restart their bike because of the valves tightening up. :thumbsup: I am no expert so maybe someone else will chime in. If you search "hard starting" in the wr/yz 250f section a crap load of info comes up. Just start eliminating them one by one. It could be anything from valves out of adjustment to carb problems to spark problems. Good luck.

If you don't already have an auto-decompression exhaust cam its the first thing you should get... $100 well spent

nono ok im sure your bike has a decompression lever.so if it does you have to get it at top dead center.mine is the same.2001 yz250.to do this you slowly push the kick start a few times until it gets hard to push.once it get too hard to push you keep it there and pull the decompression lever.push a little farther down,let go of the lever,then let the kick start go up and wha-pow you kick and it starts up.takes some practice but it gets easy

1. clean your carb

2. Check valve clearance

3. Put in a 03 Exhaust cam

I had a hard time starting my 02 YZ250F, it was harder to start than my YZ426. I cleaned the carb and did the 03 cam mod and now it fires up in one to two kicks.

hey, we found the problem. The airflow bolt was missing at the bottom. sorry for your troubles thanks for all the info though.