Sign in to follow this  

Pozo vs. Hollister

My son is a 14 year old dirt newbie and I am an old fart who has returned to dirt riding after a 25 year lapse. I want to take him riding next week at either Pozo or Hollister. Any opinions about which area is more novice friendly? (or less crowded?). We will be going on a weekday.

TIA

HOLLISTER!!

Hollister is definitely newbie friendly. All the trails are marked with signs. There are some mellow trails as Pozo, but not many. He would have a better time at hollister... and it's definitely more safe as well! But then again, Hollister can get crowded, but at least you are riding on one way trails where you won't go head on with someone riding the opposite way. Both places enforce the sticker rules... so i wouldn't even try to go to hollister if either of you have red stickers. I think the season opens on October first at Hollister.

Have fun!

By the way.... i learned how to ride at pozo. One good thing about that is, i think it has definetly made me a great rider! I had to overcome many things at Pozo. When i trial ride other places now, it's a piece of cake... cuz Pozo is PRETTY GNARLY!

I agree with dirt queen, except that Hollister is a good 3 hour drive from the Central Coast. You should consider how long you want to ride, and if you want to make a weekend of it, plus the cost of fuel these days can be significant.

If you stage at the Red Hill area Pozo is fine for a beginner - large flat area there, plus some readily accessable easy trails connceted to the flat area, and also some that are harder.

Staging at Turkey Flats is more popular, but you have to deal with sand washes which can be intimidating for the beginner, or a relatively steep slippery trail up the hill to the ridge known as "Powerline" I think.

My gang learned to ride there, about age 10-14 at the time, but they are a bunch of BMXing skateboarding loonies that are fearless! As a 50+ reentering rider i fell off a bunch of times but I have the hang of it now, but don't ask me to catch the young'uns!

If you stage at the Red Hill area Pozo is fine for a beginner - large flat area there, plus some readily accessable easy trails connceted to the flat area, and also some that are harder.

Red Hill must be another name for it... but i think more people know of it as "Navaho Flats"... it's definitely more beginner friendly than Turkey Flats. It's on the other side of pozo... off of the 58.

nevermind I found it on the map, can 4x4 ride on the trails too or are they seperated

There are some good jeep trails at Pozo in addition to some fun motorcycle trails.

Pozo's closed better stay in So. Cal :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Why'd they close Pozo? Fire season?

I'd say Hollister definitely. I took my boy when he was 12 for his first trail ride to Pozo and he hasn't rode since. He just turned 15. Especially if your not familiar with the place either. A beginner could start having a real bad time fast. I hear Hollister is well marked, one way, and beginner friendly.

I don't know about Pozo but Hollister has plenty of wide fire roads. My daughter likes to go rrrrrrrrrr on smooth roads and it's ok for her. Midweek should be pretty empty before they start letting in red stickers.

Pozo's closed??? How is that? It's closed for red stickers, and open year round for green. I know someone who just rode there last weekend.

Pozo's closed??? How is that? It's closed for red stickers, and open year round for green. I know someone who just rode there last weekend.
hush :thumbsup:

Yea, it's closed - got ticketed for no forest adventure pass too, place sucks!

Lots of rocks and ruts. too hard and too hot. Try Gorman.

I just called the Ranger Station in Santa Maria and they said all roads are open...

Yea, it's closed - got ticketed for no forest adventure pass too, place sucks!

Lots of rocks and ruts. too hard and too hot. Try Gorman.

Where were you riding that they told you that the forest/Pozo was closed?? What did they say?

And yes, if you park there, you must have a forest adventure pass, or else they will write you a ticket. And if you ride there, you must have a spark arrestor as well, same when you ride at hollister.

So i guess the post about Pozo being closed was just a joke... but i guess im not the only one that didn't get it, because people seem to be pretty confused and even calling numbers to find out if it is in fact closed.

So uh... yeah....... um, Pozo's Closed.

I think pozo's a fun place to ride... just not for beginners! If you want a challenge, ride pozo.... and i suggest either Powerlines, Cinder Block, Pine Mountain and the Stair Steps or Mare Springs. Fun Fun Fun! Haha!

http://www.industryfigure.com/berkeley/Jeep/images/trail/pinemtn2002/pozo021.jpg

http://www.industryfigure.com/berkeley/Jeep/images/trail/pinemtn2002/pozo022.jpg

So i guess the post about Pozo being closed was just a joke... but i guess im not the only one that didn't get it, because people seem to be pretty confused and even calling numbers to find out if it is in fact closed.

So uh... yeah....... um, Pozo's Closed.

I think pozo's a fun place to ride... just not for beginners! If you want a challenge, ride pozo.... and i suggest either Powerlines, Cinder Block, Pine Mountain and the Stair Steps or Mare Springs. Fun Fun Fun! Haha!

http://www.industryfigure.com/berkeley/Jeep/images/trail/pinemtn2002/pozo021.jpg

http://www.industryfigure.com/berkeley/Jeep/images/trail/pinemtn2002/pozo022.jpg

Why not all of them, plus Howards Bypass and Burnout.

Hmm... forgot about those.

I know burnout like the back of my hand. Howard's is PRETTY crazy. I rode that trial one one of the very first times ever riding at pozo. I didn't think i was going to make it, not to mention the fact we went the wrong way on the trail and it was stupid on my part to follow someone who didn't know their way around pozo. It started out as a wide fire road, and ended up as probably a foot wide trail with mountain on one side and cliff on the other. Not fun, especially for a beginner.

XR.. do you live here in SLO or in Orange?