Sign in to follow this  

Need a Ride Report on 250XCF or XCF-W

Guys I know some people are just starting to get them and I know of a dealer that has a couple of the XCF's so I'm interested in hearing how you guys like them if you have one.

I'm currently riding red but have been thinking about going for one of the new XCF250s.

Any opinions would be great.

Thanks

ive got 06 sxf250 and its awesome, i just bought the 07 xcf 250 rode once and couldnt tell the difference between the two except the starter button , get one you"ll be amazed

Sly is that you? I wondered where you went last I knew though you had switched to KTM.

So how was the 06 as far as vavle maintenance and all. Let me know what you think of the XCF after the weekend if you get out for a longer ride on it.

My problem is first deciding if I want a new bike because the 05 doesn't have many hours on it. Second is which one to get the XCF or the XCF-W, I think the XCF would work fine for my riding and racing but the W might have a little plusher suspension and for the rocks I ride it might be better.

The W is definately plush. I'm very impressed with the suspension. I ride alot of rocks and rough trails and it soaks it all up and can still handle waist deep woops.

Good to hear that the suspension is plush on the W. I'm curious to hear how it is on the XCF model. If I get a W I would probably have to play with the gearing a bit because I don't ride super tight trails that often so a super low 1st wouldn't be needed.

Well, got mine Friday, only got to ride it up and down the street, but I live in the country so it's a little more than an in the driveway report. Bike came really lean, threw in a 46 pilot and put the needle clip in the 5th position for the top, this is the same needle position as the XC and EXC-6 days have. I weight alot and will have respring the bike, dampening is light and ofcourse everything on the bike works like butter. I have owned dozens of bikes, but this is my first KTM...Making an 3 1/2 inch exstension to fit my FMF Ti sparkarrestor from my Honda 450X...That end pipe will fit my HP2, 450X, and the new KTM, transmission gears are not as far apart as everyone over at KTM talk is worried about, bike will pick up the front end in 2nd and ride it all the way though 5th gear, the bike goes down to maico bill for the 312cc kit next Sat (HT Racing), power on the bike now is very smooth, with nice torque in the bottom/middle and nice horse power on top, bike revs out well...The KTM feels very light, just like my last years 250R twin piper, this bike will own the woods this year, there is just nothing out there that can compare.

Yes it is, bike is too rich on the bottom, had one in the tool box, will rejet next week with 312 kit anyway...Even though the bike seems really lean I bet a 42 pilot and adjusting the mixture screw is all it needs...

450x22, I noticed you have gone from the 450s to the 250. and know your going from the 250 to the 312, is the 250 ok for you at 250ccs or are you just adding the 312cc for more range of power? Any helpful stuff on the 450 to 250 would be appresiated.

PS: I barrowed your 250 phote as i didnt get a new shot on mine.lol

I weight 270 lbs in my riding gear, have a very trick 450X Honda, but wanted to try something light on the MX track with my riding buddies, bought 06 twin piper and took to my favorite riding woods place to break in, well I found I could ride faster/longer with that 250, bought a bigger tank, (stupid because I could go 50 miles on stock 1.8 gallon tank anyway), skid plate, hand guards, dropped one tooth front sprocket (bit much but cheap mod) and rode that bike almost every weekend in the woods, and I NEVER fell once in 7 months of riding on that damn 250, only problem is my knees are so bad I have to have electric start, I hop up and have ridden 250X Hondas alot, they don't do it for me, now you see why I bought my first KTM, big move for me because I have spare everything for Hondas (ebay here I go), there is a couple hills where I ride that have no/very little run at, so the 312cc kit will be the answer, sell my 450X and will buy another KTM, hope the engine still has that electric power band that those 250 four strokes have, just more to over come my extra poundage...JD sent me my jet kit, springs in the mail, next Sunday I will be ripping it up and you guys will hear about it.

I weigh 240 with gear and will likely go with the 312kit. Ill be calling JD (didnt know he had a kit out yet). thanks for the info. Did he say if the 250kit will be the same as the 312kit?

JD doesn't have a kit for the 312, but called Bill and asked about jetting, I know the needle is really lean and wanted to get coming what ever is the best starting point, Bill said the stock 250F SX needles work well and of course are richer than both the XC, or even the 6-days ones, then called JD and talked jetting kits for XCs/XC-Ws/SXs and he stated with his needles you can run a bigger main jet (180 range, stock 168) because of his taper, so newest/later/updated jetting in the mail, will try and report, project is coming together well...